Fencing!

BarredCometLaced

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Northern NH
SO, i am looking into fencing for all different animals and was wondering what the best type of fence was for the animals were?
I want something that i can rely on and will last a long time and is durable.

Sheep?

Chickens?

Horses?

Cows?

Goats?

Thanks!

This is just a guess, I've only owned half of the animals you've listed...

For chickens, I would use chicken wire
lol.png

for sheep, goats, and cows I would use cattle panels, and line the lower half of it with chicken wire for the goats and sheep.

For horses...I really have no clue...though I have heard that barb wire is a bad idea and have personally seen the injuries it can cause...perhaps cattle panels for them too? ...You know, a lot of the horse owners I know use wood fencing...one I know made a fence out of barbless fencing wire and it seems to serve them well...though I'm not really in a place to suggest horse fencing
hu.gif

I personally, wouldn't use chicken wire for chickens. Chicken wire will keep the chickens in, but will not keep predators out.
I have never owned any of the other animals you have listed, so I can't comment on what type of fencing to use.

i like no climb feild fence...relitivly cheap, simple, comes in a veriety of heights and roll lengths...can be as easy to put up as pounding in t-posts or go extravigant and use wood instead...how you put it up will determin how sturdy it is for various animals but as an overall fence feild fencing seems to be a great choice overall.

Our ducks are loose for now. Fence up just got gates tonight for the back yard and long over due. The ducks will go in the other half of the coop and a separate run in the winter. Chickens are caged they have an indoor area with a small hole that they can fit in. They also have runs that go out side from their inside area. Which is chicken wire and we have lots of predators been lucky I guess for 3 years now but they can go inside. I do not see that any other animals have ever tried to get in their runs.

My goats are contained does and a buck in separate pens with hog/cattle panels and it does well. My buck has put some stress on his area now that he is in rut. Also the bucks I brought here for a few weeks they had horns and rammed and bent the panels and got out. I have had and raised cattle in here too and they did great and never got out, also raised some pigs in here too and no problems.

I will eventually have hot wire on the inside x2 strands.

My horse and when cows were out there with her....is just 5foot horse fencing with 2 strands of barb wire around the top. This is a 2 acre area though so they have lots of room to run around.

I plan on replacing the barb wire with electric wire.

Back
Top Bottom