Feral chickens

merrymomo

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 29, 2015
Oregon
My neighbor moved and left his chickens to fend for themselves. I have never raised chickens. Sadly there were 12 now there are only 4. I have been feeding them an just built a nice coop with small run. They sleep on our front porch (poop there too) how do I get them to understand the coop is a safe place? One will go in for food and come right out. They are very skittish. TIA.

If you can, lure them in the coop/run with food and leave them locked in there a week or maybe two. They are creatures of habit. If you can get them in the habit of sleeping in the coop they should return there each night on their own.

Second approach. Where are they sleeping? If you can figure that out and can get to them you can pretty easily catch them after dark and lock them in your coop/run. If you have enough outside light that they can see after dark this could be a challenge.

Another possibility, try a live trap. You can probably get A raccoon-sized one at your local hardware store. Bait it with food, corn or sunflower seeds work well. You will only get one at a time but you should eventually get them.

With my feral chicken, I waited until she was half asleep in the evening then locked her in the coop each night. It took two weeks, but eventually she went in on her own one evening, and has done so each night ever since.

When you pick them up, grasp them firmly with both hands holding their wings down against their bodies so they won't struggle.
When I move birds at night I use a headlight and point it up a bit,
just enough light for me to see but not lighting a way for them to see to get away, turn your porch light off.

Hopefully your new coop is big enough for 12 birds.

Best of cLuck!
Let us know how it works out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom