Feral Hawaiian chickens laying a dozen eggs a day

Quote:
Umm. Storebought chicken is not steroid ridden. Their phenomenal growth is due to genetics, not steroids. And you can raise the frankenchickens (Cornish X) yourself if you want to. I do every year.

Perhaps you can explain to me how it is, if it isnt steroids, how they get frankenchickens completely to size in four to five weeks and a non commercial grower can't do it in under seven even feeding 24-26% protein? I worked in commercial houses from the time i was 11 til i was 21 and know a great many people who raise broilers commercially today. They never have them longer than five weeks. So other than steroids/growth hormones, what could be in their feed that we dont have access to?

Last edited:
Quote:
Im jealous
sad.png
I never heard anything back.
lol.png

Quote:
Umm. Storebought chicken is not steroid ridden. Their phenomenal growth is due to genetics, not steroids. And you can raise the frankenchickens (Cornish X) yourself if you want to. I do every year.

Perhaps you can explain to me how it is, if it isnt steroids, how they get frankenchickens completely to size in four to five weeks and a non commercial grower can't do it in under seven even feeding 24-26% protein? I worked in commercial houses from the time i was 11 til i was 21 and know a great many people who raise broilers commercially today. They never have them longer than five weeks. So other than steroids/growth hormones, what could be in their feed that we dont have access to?

Sound like those are being butcher as cornish gamehen,which are butcher at 4 to 5 weeks, and yes anyone can raise those, to be fryer they are near the 7 to 8 weeks...........agree not steroids.

I want some! I want some!!! I know it would be a sacrifice on my part but I personally volunteer to go to Maui and round up all of the feral chickens and bring them home. I am willing to accept the dangers of mutant chicken that lay 12 eggs a day. I know, I know, it will be a tough job but I am willing to do that for my fellow man... lol!! i love when journalist don't check their facts before sending something in and I love it even more when the editor doesn't check either, it makes for good reading and a great opportunity to teach something to others that read it and take it as true.

Quote:
Im jealous
sad.png
I never heard anything back.
lol.png

Yes its spokkesperson from the Humane Society, that is spreading the misinformation. Its not the first time they do things like this.

The reporter was just Quoting a person that should have known the facts......but in like in so many cases The Humane Society they will give false information if they think it will help them.

I think that's SOP for the Humane Society, that any animal they adopt out must be sterilized, to prevent more unwanted animals like them from being born. But this policy shouldn't apply to birds, I don't imagine this is a requirement for parrots or canaries.

I contacted the author of the article also and pointed out his slap-shot pseudojournalism and sent him a number of links. Told him it was a crying shame I had to do his fact-checking for him and that even my high-school journalism class taught us about checking our facts before publishing an article.

I sent him a number of links with CORRECT information regarding the number of eggs a day that chickens can lay, as well as links regarding the simple, inexpensive treatment of lice and mites with diatomaceous earth and that the people he interviewed obviously have no idea what they are talking about and no wonder they can't handle their chickens (then I asked, "Are they REALLY that stupid in Hawaii? I find that so hard to believe!")

I also told him that I found out about his article because it was so full of incorrect information, chickenkeeping and farming forums on the internet with members around world the are poking fun of his article and laughing about the profoundly gross misinformation he is spreading. He wrote back and said he had no reason to doubt his source… REALLY? I told him he has every reason to doubt his source because they filled him with a bunch of bad information that is so far from reality, it should be a TV show. No wonder feral chickens are a problem there… nobody knows what they're talking about!

Quote:

They don't. A four week old chicken would be a Cornish game hen. Foster Farms, the big meat chicken producer in this area, processes their fryers at about seven weeks. Steroids and growth homones are not used in the commercial production of meat chickens. Period.

Back
Top Bottom