Fermented Alfalfa Cubes How To

I just ferment alfalfa pellets in with my fermenting crumble. Do about 25% alfalfa to 75% feed. I've always liked the pellets better than the cubes, even when I had horses.

Nice alternative, thank you! Apparently we all agree that alfalfa, especially fermented, is great for our ladies! I just watched mine again this morning go for the alfalfa before the FF!

However you choose to do it, it seems to be amazing greens for chickens!

This is great, I buy bags of alfalfa pellets for the horse, he gets them soaked with beet pulp over the winter, now I can try fermenting them for the chickens too.

Pellets break down pretty quick in water, from what I recall the cubes take a while (part of the reason I decided not to use them for the horse, I'm lazy and I would forget to soak them far enough ahead.) Anyway, I started with 4 oz of pellets in the jar.

I added 2 cups of water. I will probably end up needing more...

After 1 hour. They take up a lot of water, I might need to find something bigger....

I will try to take some more pics tonight and over the next few days while it 'brews'
Only other thought I had is, I know people shop at TSC a lot, I buy my pellets there. I buy the Standlee Alfalfa Pellets, have never felt like the Dumor version was as good, seem to smell bad often.

firm sponge is all good IMHO just make sure it ferments...and yes it SUPER expands....thanks for the great pics!!
tongue.png
just keep mixing!! once or twice a day...that looks like the jar I use!

Last edited:
Thanks, this stuff still smells good enough I'd feed it to the horse, so we have a ways to go. I did add a bit more water for stirring room, but stirring is pretty easy now. Hopefully that's enough, I don't have a bigger clear container handy. If it has to go into a bucket oh well, I think the interesting picture part has probably passed now, but I will be curious to see if the color changes at all. For other's note, I did not add any 'starter' to this, it's alfalfa pellets straight out of the bag and water.

ETA: It's an old pasta jar, they're so darn useful. But I definitely prefer to make my own pasta sauce!

Last edited:
Aaaaaand we have fermentation, this is what I came home to today, after about 48 hours...

What you can't see is where it kept bubbling all over the counter. So a tip for newbies, you're going to need a bigger container than you think, MUCH bigger.

I moved it to this and added some more water, started with 2 cups, am up to about 3.5.

Back
Top Bottom