Fermented Alfalfa Cubes How To

I am interested in starting this up. Question: Is there any reason to not use the 1lb rabbit feed version of alfalfa pellets? I know it would be more expensive, (~$2.50 per lb) but since I only have 7 ladies, a 40lb bag of horse pellets would last FOREVER. I think it would be both fresher and easier to store. Thanks

I think that would be fine and people have reported good results with the rabbit pellets!

I just got 4 hens and was worried about them not getting enough "greenery" during the winter, but I have horses too and keep alfalfa cubes on hand as treats for them. Looks like my alfalfa cubes will be able to do double duty now! Thanks for the info!

Oh marvelous to hear. Smell the way you described it sounds right. You may notice some white stuff at the top from time to time, that is the SCOBY of course, just mix it in. A hit for the girls! That is the best news of all.
clap.gif

The white stuff on top would not be a SCOBY, but would be KAHM YEAST. Kahm yeast is not a type of mold, but rather an aerobic yeast that forms when the sugar is used up and the PH of the ferment drops because of lactic acid formation.

Just didn't want anyone to be misinformed.

I have been reading and noticed reports several times lately that chicks until maybe older than ten weeks REALLY do not take to new stuff well...wait a few weeks or as you said late summer and winter! I would not consider chicks not liking fermented alfalfa as a fail...just like kids, I think they have to develop their palate
gig.gif
And this idea would apply to your other great offerings as well!

Mine didn't just not like it, they would spit it back at me. They would eat the other goodies I mixed in with it though, then walk around spitting from the taste.

It's an aquired taste, but they will learn to live it. Just like kids eventually aquire the taste for adult food.
It took mine till about the end of the second day. And for some strange reason, they couldn't get enough. The old saying "if you get hungry enough..."

Pellet or cube doesn't matter, they both fall apart after about 3-5 hours in water.
Plain Alfalfa vs Timothy Alfalfa
Timothy has less protein and a lot more fiber. Used mostly for horses.
Plain has more protein, less fiber, and is what I've always been told is preferred for chicken feed. But they can benefit from either.

Well I was on azure standard putting in the order a couple weeks ago and I saw Alfalfa pellets and was like hey maybe I should try fermenting those for the chickens, kind of like a non fresh chaff(so) hay for them. Picked up my order yesterday and decided to go on here to see if anyone else is doing it and not surprised at all someone beat me to it Can’t ever be original these days. Glad to see it works!

I'm going to be ordering some pellets from Azure too. Came here looking for info on fermenting pellets since I already ferment feed and wanted to mix these in. Love all of the info here!

Could you maybe put a little of the dried alfalfa pellets in with the fermenting Feed at the start and let it set 3 days that way just have it all together?

Back
Top Bottom