Fermented feed for molting?

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hi Peeps! I just started feeding fermented feed to my girls and they LOVE it. I have one bird with a lowered immune system, so I feel this will help.
My question is does fermenting the feed add extra protein for a molting bird? Or should I still give them eggs? I'm feeding them kale, eggs (at times), leftover proteins from our meals, yogurt (although I don't think I need to feed the yogurt anymore since switching to fermented feed). I was giving them flock raiser but I ran out of that and don't want to buy a big bag for one bird.
I appreciate any help given here. Thank you and have a great day!! 😁

No harm in fermenting flock raiser for the entire flock. You can also mix it 50/50 to use it up faster. Any molting bird will benefit from a higher protein feed. Save the eggs for yourself.

I can ferment pellets?? Ooo...that would be awesome!! I never thought of adding them to the fermenting feed, which is funny because I mixed flock raiser dry with the layer pellets when the majority of girls were molting a month ago.

It doesn't add protein however if you're fermenting a whole grain mash, fermenting helps the protein in the fines stick to the grains, thereby ensuring the birds are eating it.

You get me. Lol. 😁 This is what I was talking about. Since the grains are more accessible then the chickens are probably getting a more wholesome protein as there's less waste. I see the husks from the grains being left behind as I dump the feed trough. So I know they are comsuming less waste already.
I'll still add some protein though as I was working so much through the group molt a month and a bit ago, and I wasn't able to give them much more protein other than flock raiser, and they are still dealing with it. Previous year's molts were much faster because I gave them added fresh protein.

Keep giving them the eggs, you can add some mealworms too. Just be careful and still do this in moderation; you don’t want them filling up on treats. But fermented food has a lot of good healthy gut bacteria enzymes, it does not contain extra protein.

Oh yes...I forgot mealworms. Lol...they get those too. Thank you. 😊
Thank you...sometimes I wonder if I'm giving them too many treats. So if I feel like I have then I won't give them any the next day, to let their bodies work through the previous load.

Yep, you can ferment pellets!

@PioneerChicks do you know of a thread that covers this? Or do I do the same thing as with the scratch? I put water about an inch above the scratch and make sure to keep it covered in water. If I do as @Percheron chick says, do you know if I mix the flock raiser in with the scratch and then put the water in?
Sorry for the million questions, I'm just so interested. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom