Fermented Feed - Give me the scoop!

I got my flock of 11 last June and I started fermenting their feed soon after I got them. I have been doing the Tikk Tok version with the back slopping. However, I just put enough out there to last the whole day. I don't feed any dry feed, but I do grow sprouts and fodder for them and through some bird seed and scratch out for them. They also free range pretty much every day for 2-6 hours. I recently got 4 chicks for a broody and they eat the fermented feed, too. I also feed them dry crumbles, but they seem to go to the fermented first. I used to feed Scratch and Peck, but then switched to New Country Organics because it was cheaper and I could get it locally instead of through mail order.

Last edited:
I got my flock of 11 last June and I started fermenting their feed soon after I got them. I have been doing the Tikk Tok version with the back slopping. However, I just put enough out there to last the whole day. I don't feed any dry feed, but I do grow sprouts and fodder for them and through some bird seed and scratch out for them. They also free range pretty much every day for 2-6 hours. I recently got 4 chicks for a broody and they eat the fermented feed, too. I also feed them dry crumbles, but they seem to go to the fermented first. I used to feed Scratch and Peck, but then switched to New Country Organics because it was cheaper and I could get it locally instead of through mail order.
I use SnP feed, but I can get locally. It is still quite expensive though. Wonder if I can find New Country Organics a bit cheaper in my neck of the woods?

I had to get the Scratch and Peck from Chewy's. Here I can get New Country Organics for about $32 for a 50lb bag which is much, much cheaper, about half the price.

Can someone walk me through it? I read the tik tock version but what I don't get is that it takes 4-5 days to make a new batch. So do you always have a new container going because what do you feed when your last batch is gone and you have 4 days until your next batch?
I obviously need kindergarten instructions
Also, I bought green lentils to sprout and split peas. Do I have to sprout the peas too or can those be fed raw? I am a total newbie so please be kind!

Can someone walk me through it? I read the tik tock version but what I don't get is that it takes 4-5 days to make a new batch. So do you always have a new container going because what do you feed when your last batch is gone and you have 4 days until your next batch?

If you want to strictly adhere to having it fermented before you feed, yes you'd probably need multiple containers going at a time. I want this as simple as possible so I only have one container and start feeding it from the 24 hr mark on (a 1 day soak). So that means sometimes the feed has only soaked 1 or 2 days, other times it's soaked 6 or 7 days, since my batch size can vary. When I get down to the bottom of the container, I just add more feed and water - the old feed residue and remnants will help kickstart the next batch.

I do the Tikk Tok method. Your very first batch may take a few days. Do not feed all of that batch when it is ready. Save some in the container and add more chicken feed and more water to make the next batch. Since there is a "starter culture" of the already fermented feed left in the container, the 2nd batch ferments more quickly - in a day. So, each time you use the fermented feed, leave some in the container as a quick start for the next batch. I think Tikk Tok calls that back slopping. I mix up a new batch every 24 hours.

I do the Tikk Tok method. Your very first batch may take a few days. Do not feed all of that batch when it is ready. Save some in the container and add more chicken feed and more water to make the next batch. Since there is a "starter culture" of the already fermented feed left in the container, the 2nd batch ferments more quickly - in a day. So, each time you use the fermented feed, leave some in the container as a quick start for the next batch. I think Tikk Tok calls that back slopping. I mix up a new batch every 24 hours.
Thank you!

I obviously need kindergarten instructions
Also, I bought green lentils to sprout and split peas. Do I have to sprout the peas too or can those be fed raw? I am a total newbie so please be kind!
Once I get it going, I feed the next morning .. unless it's cold then it might take a day or so.
upload_2019-6-19_14-41-46.png

https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Back
Top Bottom