Fermented Feed

I really don't think the type of lid matters much once you get the yeast culture started. I use a plastic container and lid for mine. The yeast is anaerobic and doesn't care about the air in the container. Just cover it to keep out insects and minimize evaporation.
So, when do you put the lid on?

So, when do you put the lid on?
I followed the procedure listed here: Fermented Feed FAQ

Basically, you mix 50/50 water/feed in an open container and stir twice/day for three days. The yeast is actually floating around in the air, settles onto the mixture and and starts breeding when it finds a wet & carb-rich environment. Once you get a good yeast mixture started, then you can keep it covered from then on. I use a smallish container, scoop out all but a heaping teaspoon (which will inject yeast into the next batch) and refill with feed/water.

That procedure is for smaller batches. Some mix in 5 gallon buckets for larger flocks, but the procedure is somewhat different there.

I followed the procedure listed here: Fermented Feed FAQ

Basically, you mix 50/50 water/feed in an open container and stir twice/day for three days. The yeast is actually floating around in the air, settles onto the mixture and and starts breeding when it finds a wet & carb-rich environment. Once you get a good yeast mixture started, then you can keep it covered from then on. I use a smallish container, scoop out all but a heaping teaspoon (which will inject yeast into the next batch) and refill with feed/water.

That procedure is for smaller batches. Some mix in 5 gallon buckets for larger flocks, but the procedure is somewhat different there.
Thanks!
I only have 7.

The system is very flexible and easy to do once you get started. I use 1 cup feed +1.1 cups water (I like a little more water) per day which expands to 2.5+ cups fermented for 4 chickens. You can easily scale up/down as needed. I'd start smaller to get it started and when you see that they like it, just make larger batches on a daily basis. Some people ferment for multiple days, but I keep it simple and feed/refill every day. You can see the ferment as gas bubbles in the feed mixture after even one day.

I cut them up and put them on a plate or bowl. Only because when I first started and laid out a tray with the tall grasses (they can get really tall 5"+ if you let them grow) and one of my girls got an impacted crop! So I learned my lesson to cut it up to no more than maybe 1.5" pieces.
View attachment 3198273
I had the same trouble with one of my girls, I use to give them grass, but now I cut it up into smaller pieces

The system is very flexible and easy to do once you get started. I use 1 cup feed +1.1 cups water (I like a little more water) per day which expands to 2.5+ cups fermented for 4 chickens. You can easily scale up/down as needed. I'd start smaller to get it started and when you see that they like it, just make larger batches on a daily basis. Some people ferment for multiple days, but I keep it simple and feed/refill every day. You can see the ferment as gas bubbles in the feed mixture after even one day.
That's one of the things I wanted to know. If you could keep it going and add to it. Like sourdough starter.

Oops!
Tried to answer my own question!
Haha no worries. I make fresh each day. Occasionally if I feels like I'm running low on their fermented food or I forget one day I'll do what others mentioned and use some old liquid in a new batch. I typically have 3 batches in 64oz jars going. About 4 cups dried feed in each. My 4 girls eat a jar a day almost. Plus their grass and sprout and a little treat each day. I thin they eat a lot! Esp my Speckled Sussex...she's a little piggy!

Haha no worries. I make fresh each day. Occasionally if I feels like I'm running low on their fermented food or I forget one day I'll do what others mentioned and use some old liquid in a new batch. I typically have 3 batches in 64oz jars going. About 4 cups dried feed in each. My 4 girls eat a jar a day almost. Plus their grass and sprout and a little treat each day. I thin they eat a lot! Esp my Speckled Sussex...she's a little piggy!
Wow! They eat a lot!

Back
Top Bottom