Fermented Feed

DobieClose

Songster
Jun 26, 2021
West Mansfield, OH
I have just finished my first batch of Fermented feed and my chickens loved it. I followed directions from a more general thread on BYC.
Looking on the internet, I see some people cover with cheesecloth, some set the lid lightly on top and some totally close it up.
What are the fermenter's practices here?

I have just finished my first batch of Fermented feed and my chickens loved it. I followed directions from a more general thread on BYC.
Looking on the internet, I see some people cover with cheesecloth, some set the lid lightly on top and some totally close it up.
What are the fermenter's practices here?
Nice job!

Cheesecloth for me! I found that overtime when I'd wash the lids they would start rusting.

...I also grow different grasses and sprout seeds for my 4 girls. Man they are so spoiled and eat better than myself or the dog!
20220724_094603.jpg

I cut them up and put them on a plate or bowl. Only because when I first started and laid out a tray with the tall grasses (they can get really tall 5"+ if you let them grow) and one of my girls got an impacted crop! So I learned my lesson to cut it up to no more than maybe 1.5" pieces.
View attachment 3198273
Do you grow them indoors all winter?
Also, do you add to your fermented feed when you take some out, or make fresh?

I really don't think the type of lid matters much once you get the yeast culture started. I use a plastic container and lid for mine. The yeast is anaerobic and doesn't care about the air in the container. Just cover it to keep out insects and minimize evaporation.

Back
Top Bottom