1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FERMENTED FEEDING

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickNanny13, Oct 27, 2015.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Ok, I know I've seen the thread on Fermented Feeding in the past, have tried it but it's been several years since I last had chickens, need a refresher....Feed + water an inch above feed + ACV (1T) + mix daily = fermented feed....Adding feed to replenish? I also did the ACV (1 T) in the water (gal), think it was? What I can't recall is can this be done with Chick Starter? Egg Maker? I'm in Hawaii so don't have to deal with Winter weather :) Thanks for any refresher course.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Thank you

4. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Thank you. Most of what I've read were for "a lot" of chickens, I'll be getting 4 pullets (hatch Oct 14) so won't be needing much. The last time I made FF, used a plastic strainer (netting) which took forever to drain, read using "metal" not advised. Chick starter/egg maker is not so easy to drain as with grain, any advice?

5. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Mix a gallon of feed and a gallon of warm water let it set for a few days til fermented, and feed. When It gets low maybe like down to a feeding or so I add another gallon of feed and gallon of water. Stirring everyday. I have been advised against metal or glass containers. I use my plastic one I got from firehouse subs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by