Fermented mouldy?

PianoChickens

Chirping
May 7, 2023
Hi,
So I read something about fermented feed around here... someone gave a recipe of filling up jar 2/3 full with feed and adding water on top until full, stirring few times. Wait three days. I did this in a honey jar. First and second batch went like hot cakes. Third batch I opened this morning, layer of mould on top. What did I do wrong? Of course I will not feed this to the chickens. But what precautions should I take?

Hi,
So I read something about fermented feed around here... someone gave a recipe of filling up jar 2/3 full with feed and adding water on top until full, stirring few times. Wait three days. I did this in a honey jar. First and second batch went like hot cakes. Third batch I opened this morning, layer of mould on top. What did I do wrong? Of course I will not feed this to the chickens. But what precautions should I take?
What does the mold look like? Is it green, black, white? What does it smell like? Do you wait for it to ferment for three days every time, or was that your kick starter?

Are you fermenting with regular feed or seeds and grains? Did you put a lid on it?

What does the mold look like? Is it green, black, white? What does it smell like? Do you wait for it to ferment for three days every time, or was that your kick starter?

Are you fermenting with regular feed or seeds and grains? Did you put a lid on it?
Thank you, the mold is green and black, fuzzy. This was 2-4 days old batch. I used my regular feed which is; yellow feed corn, red corn, wheat, triticale, barley, sunflower, peas, red and white sorghum, millet, canola, poultry pellets with peas and lime grits. I didn't smell it. The jar had a lid on.

Back
Top Bottom