Funky fermented feed

meggers38

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Hello everyone, I have started my first batch of fermented food for my chickens. It's on day 4 and the smell is a little yeasty...and a little funky. It's part feed, part corn, part oats. I'm not convinced that it hasn't gone bad, there isn't a lot if fermentation happening and I did neglect to stir it once a day. Should I toss it?

the feed part is probably making it smell 'funky'; the corn and oats would produce the yeasty smell. Stirring isn't necessary. Have you seen any bubbles? Can you post a photo of it?

the feed part is probably making it smell 'funky'; the corn and oats would produce the yeasty smell. Stirring isn't necessary. Have you seen any bubbles? Can you post a photo of it?

Attachments

• 20230619_114941.jpg
    20230619_114941.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230619_114934.jpg
    20230619_114934.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 14
Don't toss. Offer it to the chickens and let them decide. Use a gravy strainer and scoop it out.

If by feed you mean chicken kibble, you don't ferment that for four days. More like a few hours. Only use enough water to soak it, the kibble should absorb all of the water. It will be soft and mushy, but they like it.

If by oats and corn you mean whole grain, they need about 72 hours. They will not be mushy, well you can see for yourself.

I ferment my feed but it's not grain but crumbles or pellets ... Is your feed grain?
The consistency if like oatmeal, no "standing" water. Ratio is 1:1 although when I first start I watch for the consistency. It's more a sour dough smell ... love it. I replace as I go, mixing 2 - 3x day. Pic is of what I leave in the container, adding 2cups feed/water each day. I don't add anything to their fermenting feed ... Corn & Oats are treats which they really don't need. When we "treat" we off set the nutritional value of the feed we're feeding which is all they need and balanced,

Attachments

• FFR:1.jpg
    FFR:1.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 14
  • FFR:2.jpg
    FFR:2.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom