FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
I started doing FF about two weeks ago and I'm really pleased so far. I must admit that the sour bubbling mash can still catch me of guard but the stink out in the coop is much better.
some of the girls feathers are starting to get more sheen and look almost oily . I do about a 50/50 mix but can definitely tell they like the scratch part of it better.

yeah mine started looking like that within a week or less on their feathers. Welcome to the FF world.....hope you enjoy it as much as I am. Mine dearly love the stuff and I get a kick out of them because they love it so much.

You can....doesn't change a thing except fermenting your feed may do more to prevent coccidiosis than the medicated feed can accomplish!
wink.png

Well, y'all, I finally did it. I went after work yesterday and purchased a 50# bag of layer pellets, a 50# bag of three grain scratch, and a 50# bag of BOSS. I put a big scoop each of the pellets and scratch and a small bit of BOSS into a food-safe plastic bucket, covered it with water, added a bit of UACV, stirred it, and left it overnight. This morning, I scooped out a bit and just dribbled it on the ground for the birds to see if they would eat it. (I don' t have the rain gutter feeders made yet.) As soon as it hit the ground, there were birds all over it pecking away. I hope they continue to like it that well as it ferments more. Will keep everyone posted.

Well, y'all, I finally did it. I went after work yesterday and purchased a 50# bag of layer pellets, a 50# bag of three grain scratch, and a 50# bag of BOSS. I put a big scoop each of the pellets and scratch and a small bit of BOSS into a food-safe plastic bucket, covered it with water, added a bit of UACV, stirred it, and left it overnight. This morning, I scooped out a bit and just dribbled it on the ground for the birds to see if they would eat it. (I don' t have the rain gutter feeders made yet.) As soon as it hit the ground, there were birds all over it pecking away. I hope they continue to like it that well as it ferments more. Will keep everyone posted.
mine dearly love the stuff. no turning back here. it's some good stuff for em!

I was the same way, Rosemarie...once I got to see the results of feeding FF and the savings on feed also, I was a believer and will never go back to feeding dry. It's too simple to take a so-so feed and turn it into a probiotic laden super feed for the same amount of money. What I can't imagine is why everyone isn't doing it? Who wouldn't want a better feed for their chickens at the same price they are currently paying and also get by feeding less?

It's funny - in a recent conversation I had with someone regarding the benefits of feeding FF, their hang-up seemed to be with the fact that the FF is only fed 1-2 times a day as opposed to continuously free fed. This gentleman seemed very proud of the fact that his girls were able to eat "as much as they wanted" throughout the day. He was a much older gentleman and I wonder if he is one of those who is of the mindset that quantity equals affection. In fact, his attitude about it reminded me of something I heard once describing the generational gaps:

Today's generation asks, "Is it pretty?"
Their parents ask, "Did it taste good?"
Their grandparents ask, "Did you get enough?"

I have no clue if this has anything to do with why someone may choose to not feed FF. I'm just pondering out loud... Maybe they just think it's harder than it really is?

I've been doing FF for 3 months now. I do agree that there is less waste with FF, and the girls poo is not as smelly. Basically, I add water and layer crumble to the stuff remaining in the bottom of the 1 qt container I ferment it in. (Original culture was started with ACV) By the next morning, it's pretty bubbly. I usually keep 2 qts going at a time. I have not added any whole grains. But I do have some BOSS, and some "wild bird seed" consisting of cracked corn, milo, and BOSS. If I add that to my FF mix, how much longer should I allow it to ferment, and is there really a benefit of adding the whole seeds to my current mix. My girls only get dry feed when I run out of FF. It doesn't seem that they have a particular preference. However, I read an experiment done by a fellow raising meat birds. He used FF on one group, and regular dry feed on the second group. His outcome was actually better with the second group, though the FF group was off to a slow start as they didn't initially take to the FF. Has any one done any further studies comparing the outcome of FF to dry feed? (in relation to chick growth, and expense of feed)

Back
Top Bottom