FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beekissed, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Carcinogenic substances can come from any type of plastic. Food grade is better.
    Those that ignore health concerns and scientific studies because, anecdotally, they haven't been harmed yet, do so at their own peril.

That mentality reminds me of how people look at the difference between occupational injury and occupational disease.
    If one falls from a ladder or is crushed in a machine and either breaks a bone or is killed, that's occupational injury. It is immediate and obvious.
    If one inhales asbestos or MEKs or absorbs PCBs through their skin, there is no immediate harm unless it is severe exposure. Harm might be 20 years down the road but that person is just as dead.
    Because the injury isn't immediate, it is normally ignored.
    I was an industrial electrician. We often worked in hazardous environments and I always took precautions. I was wiring a motor room in a paint kitchen where the solvent smell would knock you down. I wouldn't work in there until I had the appropriate breathing apparatus. My co-worker was mad at me for wearing it and he couldn't hear me when I spoke so he yelled at me to take it off. I told him to go to h*!l.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

1 person likes this.
  3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Yes ... but how come this is described in this way? you know ... maybe with a cute cartoon to animate it all? maybe talking animals? talking animals can be both non-threatening and persuasive.

I think what is lacking in my understanding of this whole thing is how nutritional analysis is done in general. If the nutrition is in the food, then why isn't it reported in the standard analysis, even if in the format of what's present in one column, and what's available in another?

I had this argument with a biologist once. In a casual conversation I said something about some foods being more nutritious after cooking. He gave me a tongue lashing about "the nutritional content of the food does NOT change by cooking it ..." and I came back with, "but the usefulness of the nutrients of the food surely changes ...?" and he came back with "that's total non-scientific BS," and I came back with "okay, describe to me how well humans deal with cellulose" and he came back with "you've got a point" and quickly changed the subject.

So I ask: If nutrition is in the food all along, then why don't the nutritional charts say so?

I have seen some nutrition charts that do address this ... specifically protein in various protein supplements ... how much is present vs. how much is available.

I've also read more than once about some "unknown factors" of fermentation ...

And then there are the vitamins associated with fermentation ... like B group vitamins ... all pre-present in the grain, or some "grown" in the ferment because they're actually funguses?
    LOL Just look at spinach.... Raw it has no food value..... Cooked but not cooked to death releases all its goodness.

arent Fungi great.... VBG

deb

4. IAFarmGirl

IAFarmGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    South Central Iowa
    From what I read on the link you provided and some others not all protein is water soluble. Fermentation breaks down those tougher proteins and makes them water soluble and also causes the release of starches that those proteins are protecting. I didn't see it specifically written but if the protein wraps itself around the starches maybe it is doing the same thing to some of the other nutrients and the fermentation process allows for the release of those nutrients?

1 person likes this.
  5. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    One of my much-more-than-I friends said the same thing. "Why bother with a starter if eventually ..."

That said ... I found a few commercial ferment starters ...

http://products.mercola.com/body-ecology/culture-starter.htm

Here is a Canadian version ...

http://www.caldwellbiofermentation.com/caldwell-english/starter-cultures.html

Here is a more International version ...

http://www.organic-cultures.com/

Here is the Home Brewers' Version ...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients

Here is a little article describing different ways to start fermenting ...

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/co...-culture-ferment-vegetables-fruits-condiments

and another ...

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/04/comparison-of-vegetable-fermentation-methods.html

I still have an itch to scratch regarding the two specific starters mentioned in the Nigerian study ...

--------------

All of the above is making me happier and happier with my current air and water fermentation method.

6. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    Yes! One of my facebook friends ... the guy I was talking fermentation with yesterday ... he is a professional truffle/mushroom hunter. He even uses a dog to hunt truffles. He is pretty much my hero.

7. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    Thank you Audio 05--I thought it was probably ok, but got scared and through it away. Was yours a solid film of white--almost like a sheer papery look to it?

8. Audio51

Audio51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Paradise, California
    Pretty close to that but not quite solid. It did not stink though. In fact, it smell very good...like sourdough...

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMHO if it doesn't have a bad smell, it's OK.

10. I was turned off by multiple buckets and ingredients. Once I read about Bee's cooler method, I knew I could do *that*.

I'm saving at least 2/3s on my feed bill. I need more ventilation, so I still smell ammonia when it's time for clean bedding. Where I've noticed the most effect in that regard is with the guinea poo, which is smelling significantly better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by