FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I did a search on this thread and I did not see where the following was ever discussed.

Has anyone used properly diluted Electrolyte and Vitamin mix (for example, Durvet, or "Sav-A-Chick") for the water component of their fermented feed? Seems like it would kill two birds with one stone (hahaha, I just realized this might not be the best turn of phrase to use!) when it comes to delivering a boost to new or sick birds. I am sure some of the potency wears off or maybe is even impacted by the fermentation. I am just thinking that I have this packet of Durvet that dillutes to about 100 gallons and I am never going to use that much in my life. Hahaha.

Hi there...I have not done this...but wanted to say that adding more vitamins or electrolytes to well-balanced feed may not be the best idea...I think it gets kind of tricky...rather dont want to increase the amounts they are already getting as it can lead to problems...

But since hens often know what is good for them you could experiment by providing both water with additive and water without additive side by side and seeing which one they prefer...

Speaking of probiotics... the ones listed in the feed have been dried. Does that somehow make them actually less active/efficient and thus advertising hype? Or does it have the same benefit somehow similar to say dried spirulina". Seems like what we have going on here with FF is live/active bacteria. Thoughts? :confused:

Speaking of probiotics... the ones listed in the feed have been dried. Does that somehow make them actually less active/efficient and thus advertising hype? Or does it have the same benefit somehow similar to say dried spirulina". Seems like what we have going on here with FF is live/active bacteria. Thoughts? :confused:
I would imagine the dried stuff is activated once wet and warm (like dry yeast, mosquito dunks, milky spore, etc) inside the chickens gut ....or in the FF bucket.

Last edited:
Can bacteria be dried and still survive? They are after all living cells, which are composed mostly of water. Unlike viruses, which are basically inert molecules until they find themselves in a compatible host environment.

Can bacteria be dried and still survive? They are after all living cells, which are composed mostly of water. Unlike viruses, which are basically inert molecules until they find themselves in a compatible host environment.

"In Lactobacillus, non-trehalose-fermenting species showed better survival rates after freeze-drying than did fermenting species, and those species with teichoic acid in the cell wall showed lower survival rates during storage than species with teichoic acid in the cell membrane."

Survival of freeze-dried bacteria

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18323678

Also, while still viewed as suspect by some portions of the population, all those pro-biotic pills out there are full of dried bacteria. They seem to sell well, so I suppose "should" be effective.

Last edited:
The thickness of my FF varies every time. :barnie

I just knew having a lot of extra water like when they drinking a lot in hot weather can make for more watery poos, So I thought maybe partly because they were still in the adjustment phase for EB21... hah, got you first name shortening! :D

For the varying consistency issue I measured by weight and marked the level of feed with a Sharpie, then added water by weight and did the same. Keeps it fairly close to what my birds like.

"In Lactobacillus, non-trehalose-fermenting species showed better survival rates after freeze-drying than did fermenting species, and those species with teichoic acid in the cell wall showed lower survival rates during storage than species with teichoic acid in the cell membrane."

Survival of freeze-dried bacteria

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18323678

Also, while still viewed as suspect by some portions of the population, all those pro-biotic pills out there are full of dried bacteria. They seem to sell well, so I suppose "should" be effective.

Interesting discussion, and I've also been wondering if the added probiotics in chicken feed do any thing or if it's just a knee jerk response to the current nutritional shift towards fermentation in the American diet. Just like... the chicken feed that is advertised as being "100% vegetarian." I'm tempted to take a probiotic pill and put it in a glass of milk, beside a plain glass of milk, and see what happens.

Oh, thanks. Biology was never my strongest branch of science.
:oops:

A new question; I've noticed my hens are eating their FF a lot differently now that they have all finished with their molt. Whereas they used to attack it with a ferocity that would see the trough emptied in under 30 minutes they are now taking their time, sometimes all day to finish it off. I don't mind this as I can once again use their eating habits to regulate how much feed to give them, but I was wondering do chicken's eating habits normally change after they're done molted or should I worry?

I'm not sure if it's their first molt or not, the oldest (not counting Ol' Red) are 16 months old.

Oh, thanks. Biology was never my strongest branch of science.
:oops:

A new question; I've noticed my hens are eating their FF a lot differently now that they have all finished with their molt. Whereas they used to attack it with a ferocity that would see the trough emptied in under 30 minutes they are now taking their time, sometimes all day to finish it off. I don't mind this as I can once again use their eating habits to regulate how much feed to give them, but I was wondering do chicken's eating habits normally change after they're done molted or should I worry?

I'm not sure if it's their first molt or not, the oldest (not counting Ol' Red) are 16 months old.

If they aren't making new feathers or laying they don't need much food overall. Mine haven't eaten much over winter but I'm noticing the ones that are starting to lay again are the first with their heads in the trough.

Back
Top Bottom