FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Absolutely you can overdose with ACV. I dare you to sit down and drink a full 8 oz of undiluted ACV...tell me what you think after that!
wink.png
A sour crop is already too acidic. Adding more acid isn't going to help. A probiotic might help, such as yogurt. But ACV is not a probiotic. The unpasteurized stuff may have some live enzymes and yes, live acetobacter, but acteobacter is not considered a probiotic.

A tablespoon maybe.

I know this is a fermented feed thread but I know that you all are experienced chicken people and won't tell me this caused by the fermented feed. This is my fat girl. She is acting like she needs to throw up and is tearing out her chest feathers. Any idea what if anything is wrong with her?

Is her crop squishy and full, and at the same time, she hasn't pooped much, if at all? She may have sour crop.

I'm currently battling sour crop in one of my girls. She was doing a "thing" with her neck, like her crop was very uncomfortable.

I've been giving her Monistat for the yeast infection in her crop, but while she's much improved, eating raisins, carrots, and squash, her appetite is terrible and she won't touch her FF. She's pooping, but it's very watery.

I've been trying to get some yogurt down her, but she won't eat that, either. I'm wondering how long it'll take before she starts eating her FF again.

Quote:
Understood, and thanks for the link. Love it...
yippiechickie.gif

Edited for content: You folks need to look at this site. It's great. Especially love the dish called "Faggots". But then I like organ meats, sweetbreads etc. Faggots is pork belly and liver ground up with breadcrumbs and onion eggs and other stuff and made into patties. Cook covered in broth for a while and then browned . Add with mashed potatoes and gravy. I need to think about making this for me. (nobody else in the house will eat it)

Last edited:

I know this is a fermented feed thread but I know that you all are experienced chicken people and won't tell me this caused by the fermented feed. This is my fat girl. She is acting like she needs to throw up and is tearing out her chest feathers. Any idea what if anything is wrong with her?

Could she have swallowed something that will not go down? Have you tried milking her crop out and seeing what comes out? Check her for mites and lice under a good light at night.

And, no, it's not caused by the fermented feed, so whoever told you that don't know their butts from a hole in the ground.
wink.png

Is her crop squishy and full, and at the same time, she hasn't pooped much, if at all? She may have sour crop.

I'm currently battling sour crop in one of my girls. She was doing a "thing" with her neck, like her crop was very uncomfortable. 

I've been giving her Monistat for the yeast infection in her crop, but while she's much improved, eating raisins, carrots, and squash, her appetite is terrible and she won't touch her FF. She's pooping, but it's very watery.

I've been trying to get some yogurt down her, but she won't eat that, either. I'm wondering how long it'll take before she starts eating her FF again. 

I just caught her and caged her. The crop is squishy, huge & full. She just pooped and it looks normal. The girls had yogurt every few days because my family wouldn't eat it. Should I try massaging it until she throws up?

Bee, the thought of milking her
Could she have swallowed something that will not go down?  Have you tried milking her crop out and seeing what comes out?  Check her for mites and lice under a good light at night. 

And, no, it's not caused by the fermented feed, so whoever told you that don't know their butts from a hole in the ground.  ;)

The thought of milking out her crop makes me sick to my stomach. Besides I have no idea how to do that. Off to you tube to see if I can find a how to.

Just hold her by her feet, support her chest with the other hand and tilt her at an angle downward and gently milk that crop until you work the contents up into her throat and she regurgitates. It shouldn't hurt her at all and it may really relieve her discomfort.

Lots of folks showing up with sour crops lately....would love to know the common denominator for these incidents. It's just not in my wheelhouse of experience as to what and how this comes about for certain birds and not for others, for certain people's flocks and not for others.

Did you recently give an antibiotic?

Just hold her by her feet, support her chest with the other hand and tilt her at an angle downward and gently milk that crop until you work the contents up into her throat and she regurgitates. It shouldn't hurt her at all and it may really relieve her discomfort.

Lots of folks showing up with sour crops lately....would love to know the common denominator for these incidents. It's just not in my wheelhouse of experience as to what and how this comes about for certain birds and not for others, for certain people's flocks and not for others.

Did you recently give an antibiotic?

Ok we milked her and got some fluid out. No antibiotics or wormers or anything different from the other birds. she has had a saggy crop for a while, but being my first chickens I just thought she was fat. I should have known better she is more towards the bottom of the pecking order so I was confused about why she was fat. The chickens get a lot of kitchen scraps, but I just checked all the other chickens and no one else has a squishy or swollen crop. I feel bad because she has probably had it for a while. The best way I can describe it is it's like she has huge breasts and they swing when she walks. sorry to be so graphic. I can feel her breast bone under her crop so I know now that it is not that she is fat. She is in a cage with just water now. Should I try and milk her again tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom