FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Hi everyone... I need advice. 
So a week after the flock block incident, my chickens are seeming much better, but still aren't eating well at all. Yesterday we had a high of 10 degrees, and today it was 20. I worried that they didn't want to cold and quickly frozen ff, so I even gave them a dish of dry pellets yesterday. I put out a handful of BOSS, which they usually devour, but they haven't touched it. Well, they are eating some, but nothing like normal, and especially for such frigid days... I expected their intake to go up a bit. 
That being said, aside from the flock block disaster, they are still nervous about the first snowfall sitting on the ground, and these are the first truly cold days we've had. I am still getting the one egg a day I have been since mid-November. 
Might any of you have a suggestion for a "treat" to kick them back into gear? I may scramble them up some of the precious eggs tomorrow morning, to see if they go for them. Those are usually a crowd pleaser. I have read of people making their chickens oatmeal, lentils, and a million other things. Any thoughts on any of these ideas?

I change up their feed mix in winter. In summer I use less alfalfa pellets because they get fresh greens in the yard. I also increase the BOSS and corn in winter.

Corn will help them burn more energy faster, staying warmer at night. The BOSS increases the fatty acids, essentially doing the same thing.

You could also try a bag of spinach or collared greens for a treat; it has vitamins and minerals they may be missing, and since you're FF isnt working right now, they may be having trouble digesting the dry feed..

Eggs are great too, everybody loves eggs :D

Hi everyone... I need advice.
So a week after the flock block incident, my chickens are seeming much better, but still aren't eating well at all. Yesterday we had a high of 10 degrees, and today it was 20. I worried that they didn't want to cold and quickly frozen ff, so I even gave them a dish of dry pellets yesterday. I put out a handful of BOSS, which they usually devour, but they haven't touched it. Well, they are eating some, but nothing like normal, and especially for such frigid days... I expected their intake to go up a bit.
That being said, aside from the flock block disaster, they are still nervous about the first snowfall sitting on the ground, and these are the first truly cold days we've had. I am still getting the one egg a day I have been since mid-November.
Might any of you have a suggestion for a "treat" to kick them back into gear? I may scramble them up some of the precious eggs tomorrow morning, to see if they go for them. Those are usually a crowd pleaser. I have read of people making their chickens oatmeal, lentils, and a million other things. Any thoughts on any of these ideas?
I don't know if anyone has suggested it, but... in this case, if you're not already offering it, the first thing I'd do is give them a big bowl full of appropriate sized grit. The fact that their appetite is still off is quite concerning. At this point, I think I'd give them just layer or perhaps multi-flock feed. I think I'd go with the layer to start... a big increase of protein to a compromised gut would not be good. (IMO) How are their crops? Big and squishy, or empty?? How are their poops? Normal color? Did they get real green after the flock block incident??? I'd hold off on the BOSS. Not give them anything that will give their gizzard a work out for a while. Poultry ND, regular feed, grit... see how that goes.

Anyone know how to fix a calcium deficiency (other than egg shells) Or where to get oyster shells in bulk?
YOu can buy 50# bag of oyster shells at any feed store. Only way to buy it IMO. Oyster shell is more readily absorbed than egg shells.

Thanks lazy gardener. I did put out a big old pile of grit yesterday. They always have a dish of it, but seem to want anything more when it's on the ground, so I will throw out a handful now and again.
Poops are normal- slightly lighter than usual still, but according to my research it still falls within the realm of normal. Today they seem much perkier. I did give them a couple scrambled eggs this morning, which they gobbled right up! And they have eaten some ff.
I was also thinking that I haven't moved my ff operation into a warmer space yet, so maybe it doesn't have the usual ferment going on, since the garage is now cold. I'm going to start a fresh batch tomorrow and move everything into a warmer space to make sure I'm getting a good ferment. I did also add ACV to their water today.

IF they are eating FF, I'd not recommend giving them ACV in their water. Too much acid. Glad they are doing better. I've moved my FF upstairs. It's now perking about 2' away from the wood stove. Plenty of heat there! I wonder if they're not eating the FF b/c it's being served up cold. Try getting it to room temp and see if it is more palatable. How wet is it? I keep mine pretty dry, especially this time of the year. It's dry enough that I have to smack the serving spoon a bit to get it into the bowl.

IF they are eating FF, I'd not recommend giving them ACV in their water. Too much acid. Glad they are doing better. I've moved my FF upstairs. It's now perking about 2' away from the wood stove. Plenty of heat there! I wonder if they're not eating the FF b/c it's being served up cold. Try getting it to room temp and see if it is more palatable. How wet is it? I keep mine pretty dry, especially this time of the year. It's dry enough that I have to smack the serving spoon a bit to get it into the bowl.
They seem to like it on the drier side, so it's oatmeal-ish consistency. The flock block and the cold all started around the same time, so I wouldn't be too shocked if they are turning up their noses at the ff because of the temp I serve it. Rude chickens! :)
Okay, thanks for the advice on the acv- I wasn't sure, but will cut it out for tomorrow.

Regarding FF that's frozen before the chickens can finish it, I plug in a cookie tin water warmer and place the FF on top to keep it soft. My chickens give up trying to hack away at it if the FF gets frozen.

I also bring my fermentation buckets in from the garage in winter. It doesn't get below freezing out there, but the FF ferments so much better in my kitchen where it's 70 to 75 degrees. I heat my house with wood and can afford toasty temps.

I realized yesterday something else I've been doing differently. I would usually carry the bucket of ff with me to the pen and fill the dish, but since freezing Temps I've been bringing the dish in every night and just bringing a full dish out every morning, so they aren't seeing me serve it...
Anyway, I'm happy to report that the ladies are much themselves again. They are eating better and coming to greet me when I come out.
One of them appears to be going through a light molt. She's my best layer, normally, but I noticed she hasn't laid in a while and that her comb is very faded. I had noticed some feathers in the coop, but couldn't tell who they were from. But this morning I see thinning around her neck, mostly.

Last edited:
I have a question about FF and yeast infections. I've had my little flock on FF since I got them last July. All seems good, but I have one hen with a recurring yeast infection in her ears. I treat it with vinegar/ water solution and it clears up, but it returns. I don't see any evidence of the yeast infection being elsewhere in her system, or an issue with anyone else. This hen also tends to have loose stools, definitely more than anyone else.

Has anyone experienced yeast infections associated with FF? They don't get ACV, they do get curd cheese or sometimes whey.

Would adding garlic to their feed help this hen with her yeast issues? I know that it's a natural treatment for vaginal yeast infections, so maybe it would help here too? (Shall I just stick it in her ears?
lau.gif
)

Any other experience or suggestions?

many thanks,
Ancel

Back
Top Bottom