FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

We use it to feed our quail, geese, ducks, chickens, hogs, and chickens. We have multiple horse troughs that we use to ferment feeds we have one for soybeans, scratch, and then one with mixture of both. We have been doing this in the spring, summer, and fall for multiple years. We feed laying pellets in the winter and spread dry scratch on the ground. You do not want to change the water for the water in the trough is filled with good bacteria that helps ferment the seed faster. I think fermentation is a good method and is better for your poultry's digestion.
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Surprising that you get good laying with that kind of feeding.... I mean if it's working for you, that's great! Maybe your soybeans are upping the protein enough? And do you provide OS when you aren't doing layer? Interesting either way.
smile.png

I don't understand why people use scratch if it's the same price as the complete feed?
idunno.gif

It's so easy! I do fermenting and soaking for the human family so it was really a no brainer for the chickens. They love it! And using organic feed and organic scraps I know they are the best eggs around!

Thanks! Yes, sorry, should have said to serve it to them, not to actually ferment it. :)
this is what I used for six chix to eat out of ( I assume this is what you are asking) so they didn't get it all over the place. Hardware cloth was bent, folded and cut so no hurtful ends...bent to fit in the container...

i use to use an ice cube tray.....but i would put rocks on one side to keep it from tipping over..and just fill one side with feed.

What do you all use to feed baby chicks fermented feed? I mean day 1 chicks. Do you just use a small bowl/tray? Or can you use a standard feeder?

Back
Top Bottom