FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Looks good, that's the Scoby on top. You can thicken it up as this is soupy, I assume this is a crumble and no grains. You should soak fermented whole oats by themselves and feed as well, very good for them.

this is the first batch i made. there are two more batches, the second one is a little thicker and third one is like peanut butter. the first one i wasnt sure about the thickness but i made the others after that thicker.

is it okay if some small flies land in it? i have just left the flies in the FF and mix it.

this is the first batch i made. there are two more batches, the second one is a little thicker and third one is like peanut butter. the first one i wasnt sure about the thickness but i made the others after that thicker.

is it okay if some small flies land in it? i have just left the flies in the FF and mix it.
free protein

Excellent pic of developing scoby. When you feed that batch out, you can just thicken it up to the peanut butter consistency when you use it. Don't be concerned if they reject it at first. Chickens hate change. If all they are used to is dry feed, the idea of getting something stuck on their beaks is... un-natural to them! Simply take away the dry feed, and perhaps sprinkle some of the dry feed on top of the FF, and they will figure it out.

free protein

X2. If you're lucky, you'll get wigglies in there, too.

I have to say - not getting every reply in my email stinks.

Ok, I'm going to hijack this thread for a bit although it still pertains to FF...
I LOVE FF as do my girls however I'm limited to 4 - 6 chickens & I live in a residential area so no crowing. Since I learned about fermenting been doing it but recently have had a small issue. Feed here comes only in 50# bags, yester - years I could get 25# but that was a long time ago :)
Anyway being that I only have 4 BOs, it's been warm & humid, I can never finish that bag fast enough. Prior to these I had 5 Blue Wynadottes from Oct - April and had the same thing happen....Feed mites when I get down to about 20# left (30# in 2 months). Past 2 bags of Flock Raiser I didn't finish & dumped. Both times I washed down the bin & dried it well, sprinkled DE. I've never had this problem since I started raising chickens (2013) & picking up my feed from the same feed store.

Questions - Are the mites in the feed, with the weather "hatching"? Or is it the storage at the feed store? Would changing to a grain feed have less chance for mites? Should I start buying 10# bags?

The feed store I go to don't sell FR in smaller bags, they do sell Dumor which I don't like the results. Another feed store does sell (Nutrena) feed in 10# bags, end up costing a bit more but no more mites? I hate tossing the feed although I take it to the landfill where there's alot of feral chickens so it's not really going to waste.

:pop All your opinion & advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :frow

Back
Top Bottom