FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

What't the lot and MFG date?
The one I just bought was over pulverized(dusty) and had some gray clumps in it as well as a few unbroken pellets..... seal band printed with (1?)7SEP19 MFI1
Never checked the date and no longer have the bag. texture wise though it seems normal, just the color and judging from the chicken's reaction the taste.

@aart I have the same issue with Dumor Starter/Grower. (Made by Purina) I bought this bag about 3 weeks ago and when fermenting, it is not as dark and my chickens don't finish it every day. The code on the seal band is: 7AUG30STA(2?) It looks like a 2 at the end. Since I started feeding this bag, I am only getting 2 or 3 eggs a day, when I was getting 5 - 7 a day. I know the days are getting shorter, with light but this happened since this bag of feed. I'm wondering if a protien ingredient was left out.
I actually thought it was probably an equipment malfunction,
whatever machine crushes the pellets into crumble.

OK, I found the bag and got what I am assuming is the lot number: 7SEP05STA3

They have started eating it again, maybe they stopped because it tasted different? Anyway, the different color means that their must be something changed, at least with this batch.

OK, I found the bag and got what I am assuming is the lot number: 7SEP05STA3

They have started eating it again, maybe they stopped because it tasted different? Anyway, the different color means that their must be something changed, at least with this batch.
Looks like the bags were bagged pretty close to each other. Different lots, but really close dates.
Your lot "7SEP05STA3" means it was bagged September 5th 2017, not sure on the STA3 part, but that is likely related to the plant and line run on.
This is the other lot mentioned "7AUG30STA(2?)" which means that it was bagged August 30th 2017 and likely in the same plant on a different line. I don't know if a single shipment of grain would last a feed mill 5 days or not, but if so, that could be what happened.

I've been using fermented feed for a while now. It has definitely decreased my feed cost. But I have to say it's really messy and I'm considering stopping. My poor birds are so dirty! It's especially sad to see my poor polish! Every day is a seriously bad hair day with fermented feed!
IMG_1814.JPG

I find the bearded girls get a bit messy in their beards but I've never had my Houdans top knots affected by the fermented feed.

Back
Top Bottom