Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

For what it's worth... the only thing I have ever added ACV too is my ferment (and that was only to jump start it).
I've never in all these years added it to water.
It's 98 here right now... I have 65 chicks from 24 hrs old to 5 months... haven't lost one that survived 48 hrs post hatch.
I do feed BSF (very high in calcium), but I do NOT feed them to pre laying chicks due to the high calcium).
So... just another perspective...

For what it's worth... the only thing I have ever added ACV too is my ferment (and that was only to jump start it).
I've never in all these years added it to water.
It's 98 here right now... I have 65 chicks from 24 hrs old to 5 months... haven't lost one that survived 48 hrs post hatch.
I do feed BSF (very high in calcium), but I do NOT feed them to pre laying chicks due to the high calcium).
So... just another perspective...

BSF... Black Soldier flies?

I just started raising. Cross x birds got them on stArter feed fermenting. How long do I keep them on the starter?
True, I believe their poops are less runny and smelly when they were not on fermented feed. When do I switch themto the grain feeds?

I think this fermented feed turned my chickens in zombies. Is this normal?

I'm two days into feeding fermented feed. I fed them this morning, as is our usual routine. I just went out, all the food in all feeders is GONE (even the dry pellets). This is highly unusual. I scooped up more feed and was mobbed by all birds (including birds that are incredibly flighty). They went bananas into the feeders. Usually feeding my flock is like a dead deer in a field... you know, where the eagle is eating the deer, with some vultures hanging back, and some crows even further? Well not today--all the young ones were clammering over each other, to eat with the old ones.

THEN, I went to the tractor, with some silkies, a Houdan and a BBW turkey. The turkey literally chased me across the field while I ran with the feeder to refill it. That darn thing usually won't walk 10 feet without laying down for a nap, and now it's chasing me.

Really, is this normal? What have I gotten myself into?

This is absolutely normal. It will appear that their feed consumption increases dramatically at first, but that will ween off in a month or two. I've been ceding fermented for over six months and they still go bat-shirt crazy. If I so much as touch the dish, they are chasing me down and devour it. I know they aren't starving because half the time they leave some in the bowl.

Mmm...you are describing my birds! LOL My ducks line up by the fence and start quacking like crazy when they see me coming (even if I don't have their feed bucket!). If I say anything to them they all scream twice as loudly. When I walk into their yard they crowd around me feet, I have to try very hard not to trip all over their cute lil webbed feet. The adult chickens aren't quiet as bad, but still go crazy. The Call ducks start running up and down their pen and calling, then crowd around my feet while I'm filling their feeder. My geese come running when they see me with the feed bucket and either honk/scream loudly at me, or just coo softly and start gobbling down feed as soon as it's in their bucket. When the Peafowl see me coming they start jumping/flying around their pen, and as soon as I walk in their run, they start pecking viciously at my fingers and will try and jump on my shoulders. Silly birds!

~ Aspen

Mine go crazy too & since this is my 1st flock & they were started on FF ~ I just figured that's how they all acted at feeding time ~ I have learned that I'm putting my toes at risk when I wear flip-flops around them, lol!

That's all hilarious! Love the way the chickens and other fowl love FF. It's hard for me to get to the feed trough with them all at my feet, but when I do they all dive in. The only thing I don't enjoy is when it's muddy in the run from rain, the 7wk old babies fly onto my shoulders & head (yes!) They get me so dirty I have to change.

lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom