Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shadowmane, Mar 28, 2012.

1. deserthomestead

deserthomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Sandy Valley, NV
    I probably could, it all sticks together in a film. I'm debating whether to dump the whole works and start over.

2. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop
    My ff also has gray on top. It's because I leave my thicker. I just mix it back I and add a little water. It never smells spoiled.

Now black? I would just scoop out what had black on it, sniff the rest, stir it up and add a little water :)

3. BlueMouse

BlueMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Esperance NY
    Mine often has a gray or whitish film on it. I stir back in. I think the best thing to do is to let your nose be your guide. If it smells off it's probably out of balance.

4. When it smells "off" I add a generous splash of organic ACV and it seems to correct it.

5. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Posting here also "Okay sorry if this has been discussed, I am 1,000 post behind and don't think I will get caught up anytime soon. For those in HOT areas do you use ACV in your water? This was posted on my Texas forum and just wanted to get others input. I use ACV with mother in both my water and fermented feed. Should I back off during our SUPER HOT summer? I have noticed that my shells are getting thinner even though they have oyster and crushed egg shell.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/784410/do-you-add-supplements-and-or-electrolytes/10

6. Thinner shells in summer is normal. I live where its hot and I still use ACV in my waters and ferment buckets. If you have access to alfalfa cubes, there is a good amount of calcium in alfalfa and putting some of that in their food will get a little more calcium into them. My shells, for the most part, are still good and hard.

7. ramblinH

ramblinH Out Of The Brooder

I was just wondering this & about to ask ~ thanks for sharing this thread! It was 99 & super windy here in KS yesterday ~ looks like we may reach near 100 again but not as windy. I am thankful for all the shade our property offers but have neglected to get more waterers out for them :/ heading out to do just that!

Good day to you all :)

8. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    For what it's worth... the only thing I have ever added ACV too is my ferment (and that was only to jump start it).
    I've never in all these years added it to water.
    It's 98 here right now... I have 65 chicks from 24 hrs old to 5 months... haven't lost one that survived 48 hrs post hatch.
    I do feed BSF (very high in calcium), but I do NOT feed them to pre laying chicks due to the high calcium).
    So... just another perspective...

9. BSF... Black Soldier flies?

10. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    I just started raising. Cross x birds got them on stArter feed fermenting. How long do I keep them on the starter?
    True, I believe their poops are less runny and smelly when they were not on fermented feed. When do I switch themto the grain feeds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by