Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

lau.gif
- I use a spreadsheet which is easier for me (it actually works without having to call on Pearson's Square); but, I use the square to confirm my ration calculations. I do like my sanity checks. I was going to use a ledger; but, I've found that I'm now totally lazy when it comes to arithmetic and want the ease of just entering equations and letting the computer tell me the answer.
hide.gif
Pretty sad for an engineer, I know. The reason I use multiple types of meat proteins is based on a study done back in the late 1800s/early 1900s where they found that viability of eggs, health of the chicken overall, and longevity of production seemed to correlate with a more diverse meat protein intake (as well as including some grain/vegetable protein). It was actually quite fascinating to read. Here is Pearson Square - the online calculator. As I'm sure you'd know, just put the two different items in the Grain and Concentrate fields....
smile.png
The only downside to PS is that you can only do two ingredients at a time. Here is a decent overview of how the square works, for those who would like to know more about it.
Thank you much. I remember back when I had Animal Nutrition. The professor would give us a dang list of ingredients! Dang I'm old, we didn't even have personal computers back then. In fact, that was before the internet! I would have my "ration assignment" layed out on my coffee table working on it for days. If anybody came in and even looked like they were going to touch it or straighten up "the mess" I would be like, "No! No! No! Don't touch it!" LOL A spread sheet, that would have saved hours! lol Thanks again. I really need to see if I can't dig out what I learned many moons ago and use it! I don't know, those brain cells may be long gone. hahaha

Question (and I did search but nothing came up).... has anyone used a well-rinsed cat litter bucket for a fermenter? It seems like it would be the perfect size, and Tidy Cats has a convenient lid.

I am currently using an empty Preen bucket (it is used to keep weeds from growing in garden) and it is working well, it is probably about the same size as the kitty litter bucket. I am sure that someone is going to say you should only use a food grade bucket, but I don't put much stock in the whole food grade plastic only thing. To each their own.
Chris

I think Ideally what I will do is use the litter bucket for the dry "mix", and just do the fermenting in a smaller, glass container - or series thereof - to keep the batches small. I only have the five girls.

I'm using a plastic trash can to ferment in and plastic food storage containers to feed in, all from Dollar Tree. The trash can is about big enough for two good feedings then enough left to stir up another batch. I used a little package of pizza dough yeast last time and it smells good! I usually use yogurt or buttermilk but was out of both. I'm going to start adding more milk (dried or canned) soon. I have got a container of goat probiotics. I wonder how that would work?

Question (and I did search but nothing came up).... has anyone used a well-rinsed cat litter bucket for a fermenter? It seems like it would be the perfect size, and Tidy Cats has a convenient lid.
It oughta be ok. I use old hydraulic oil buckets and grease buckets. Just wash them with some fast orange degreaser hand cleaner and it's all good.
wink.png

Forgetting about the whole "food grade plastic", etc....

Are you doing a yeast or LAB based fermentation? If you are doing LAB, are you doing it with an anaerobic or aerobic bacteria? Reason is....a yeast based or aerobic bacteria based fermentation will not do well (mostly die) in an anaerobic environment. You want to cover your fermentation with something that breathes (some people use a towel, others use an old t-shirt, etc). Me, I just leave it wide open. If you do an anaerobic fermentation, check things very, very carefully. Sealed plastic containers in warm environments are ideal environments for botulism.

**I am a bit paranoid about botulism since ingesting a nearly fatal dose of it some years back.

Last edited:
Forgetting about the whole "food grade plastic", etc....

Are you doing a yeast or LAB based fermentation? If you are doing LAB, are you doing it with an anaerobic or aerobic bacteria? Reason is....a yeast based or aerobic bacteria based fermentation will not do well (mostly die) in an anaerobic environment. You want to cover your fermentation with something that breathes (some people use a towel, others use an old t-shirt, etc). Me, I just leave it wide open. If you do an anaerobic fermentation, check things very, very carefully. Sealed plastic containers in warm environments are ideal environments for botulism.

**I am a bit paranoid about botulism since ingesting a nearly fatal dose of it some years back.
I use plastic buckets but do not seal the lids, just set them on top to keep things out of it. Also I feed 2/3 - 3/4 of a bucket a day, so every day there is fresh feed & water added and a lot of stirring going on. So far so good. Botulism is not anything to fool around with.

I was going to be doing the LAB, just keeping something over the top to keep out bugs and such. I actually have some now sitting in a glass tea pitcher (we don't use it because it pours like crud, might as well use it for small batches!) and have a cheesecloth over it with a rubber band. I think too somewhere I saw to do the anaerobic, just keep at least a good inch of water above the slurry? I'll definitely be keeping a sharp eye on it, if it smells even a little "off", they're not getting it. I'm making sure it's right before they get served.

So far the mix is some BOSS, their layer pellets, a bit of scratch mix, and fine-ground shells. Was thinking of taking some turnips a friend brought and shredding those, adding it in. I'm going to make a tilt-out trough feeder so I can serve without even going in.

Last edited:
I store the chicken feed and cracked corn in "Fresh Step" litter buckets. When I purchase a 50kilo sack it fills 5 of those buckets which seal fairly well, here the humidity is high (over 50%) most of the time, these buckets keep the feed nice and dry plus they are easy to handle when full. I see no reason why they shouldn't be used as fermenters. I use plastic trash cans (5) for my fermenters, the mash is in those for 4 days, I see no problems.

Back
Top Bottom