Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Ok, so I'm off thread for a few days, and things blow up. NOT going to catch up. Just gonna start here.

Wondering if I could get a little nudge. Took in some 4 mos old Crm Legbar cockerels, was going to eat them Unfortunately, both expired in quick succession. Autopsy showed me the first fatal cases of some sort of worm I've ever actually seen. None showed up in feces, but when I squeezed out the upper intestine and cut open the gizzard, there were easily 100 worms. They were white, and wiry, almost 2" long didn't move much unless I cut at one. EW. The cockerels were separate, so am hoping the others have not been exposed. The legbars went into a breeding pen that no one has ever stayed in before. Don't know whether the worm load made them weak (I thought the hearts seemed a bit small) or if they were weak, so the worm load got to them.
And no, I didn't take pictures, and couldn't figure out how to not gum up my phone camera since I was by myself on this one.

I don't think I'll be bringing new stock unless it's eggs for a while. I'm almost at that magic number for WA state certification. Annoying bureaucrats.
-Aleta

Sound like they brought along a healthy infestation of round worms.... http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Worming_Poultry.html

I'd say your flocks are okay as these birds were not there long, they arrived with the infestation already and the pen is one that is not commonly used so any ova shed in the feces may not go through a cycle. You could spread some lime in that pen to dessicate any worm ovum that were shed there and are still on top of the soils.

Sound like they brought along a healthy infestation of round worms.... http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Worming_Poultry.html

I'd say your flocks are okay as these birds were not there long, they arrived with the infestation already and the pen is one that is not commonly used so any ova shed in the feces may not go through a cycle. You could spread some lime in that pen to dessicate any worm ovum that were shed there and are still on top of the soils.
Hey Bee,

Looks like we were on the same tract......pun intended.

Hey Bee,

Looks like we were on the same tract......pun intended.

lol.png
It's fun to pun....
gig.gif

What are you people ranting on about?

Jaime is bred and born in North America.  He is not Arab.  He is not a citizen of the UAE or any Arab country.  I believe  he got one of his post graduate degrees in London, England.  His veterinary degree was earned in North America.  He worked at the London (England) Zoo where he was the first person to successfully artificially inseminate a bird.  He is the Chairman of the Education and Residency Committee for the European College of Zoological Medicine.  He is regularly invited to present research papers at various conferences around the world.

In 2006, Jaime won the T.J. Lafeber Avian Practitioner Award which is awarded for clinical excellence, innovation, contribution to the knowledge base, compassion and the promotion of the profession.  He's written many texts on avian and exotic veterinary medicine.  I didn't just get an opinion from my regular farm vet--I went to a world famous avian vet who is well respected by other avian vets.

http://www.lafebervet.com/t-j-lafeber-avian-practitioner-award/

You know very little about Gulf Arab society.  Very, very little.  What has your perceptions of a culture got to do with the opinion of a well respected avian veterinarian?

I can appreciate that you appreciate your friends ...qualifications.

You have tried to explain to me before how little I knew about a certain topic. How do you know what I know? For all you know I could be a Saudi posting from. Riyadh. lol You my friend need to do some reading and see what you actually don't know. FM was banned in the UAE but it is still widely practiced. For anybody associated with that society to get bent out of shape over chickens being castrated considering how women are treated daily just seems to be highly hypocritical to me.

Check this out: http://m.thenational.ae/lifestyle/fatal-traditions-female-circumcision-in-the-uae

Not the local Oklahoma source, it fell through, but still a possibility on the Arkansas source, and if all else fails I will order chicks from Nava, they do not have the same genetics I am working with, but she as a good size and I could still add the genetics (sc and fm) from what I still have from my flock genetics.
Expanding the genetic pool isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it?

Expanding the genetic pool isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it?

No actually calling Nava's birds a "last choice" was a poor choice of phrase, Nava has great birds that would add good genetics to my flock, and I would be pleased w/ either option Nava, or the Arkansas birds. I was only meaning the Arkansas birds were closer to what I was working towards as regards the fm and sc genes.

Were they anything like this?

roundworms.jpg

These are roundworms.

Your description doesn't sound quite like these, but I think 3 inches is the maximum length.
Thanks BC.
Yep, that looks right. They weren't 'coiled' like that, but I'd bet $ that's what they were... and sounds like there are a couple diff kinds.

I don't have any lime... but will be dumping lots of DE in there. That works as a good dessicant... I already add a little elemental sulfur to the FF, to help stave off mites, which I didn't have any trouble with until the rains hit. Not sure what the connection is there, but. Will sulfur help prevent worms? They all get a pumpkin split between them about every other week so far, and I could add dried minced garlic to the feed for a while... hmm.
These 2 I picked up this past Monday, so I feel pretty good that they couldn't have instantaneously gotten them here. It sounds like I might have a good chance at stopping the spread of it also. Here goes.

No actually calling Nava's birds a "last choice" was a poor choice of phrase, Nava has great birds that would add good genetics to my flock, and I would be pleased w/ either option Nava, or the Arkansas birds. I was only meaning the Arkansas birds were closer to what I was working towards as regards the fm and sc genes.
Oh, I didn't think that, Kassaundra.....I just know that you were working on the genetics of your flock before you lost your birds, and you are probably going to have to dilute the pool with some new blood. I also understand local birds are definitely a convenience. Things will work out.

Ok, so I'm off thread for a few days, and things blow up. NOT going to catch up. Just gonna start here.

Wondering if I could get a little nudge. Took in some 4 mos old Crm Legbar cockerels, was going to eat them Unfortunately, both expired in quick succession. Autopsy showed me the first fatal cases of some sort of worm I've ever actually seen. None showed up in feces, but when I squeezed out the upper intestine and cut open the gizzard, there were easily 100 worms. They were white, and wiry, almost 2" long didn't move much unless I cut at one. EW. The cockerels were separate, so am hoping the others have not been exposed. The legbars went into a breeding pen that no one has ever stayed in before. Don't know whether the worm load made them weak (I thought the hearts seemed a bit small) or if they were weak, so the worm load got to them.
And no, I didn't take pictures, and couldn't figure out how to not gum up my phone camera since I was by myself on this one.

I don't think I'll be bringing new stock unless it's eggs for a while. I'm almost at that magic number for WA state certification. Annoying bureaucrats.
-Aleta
Hahaha I was just thinking the same thing about coming back to this thread after like 2 days & there was SO much that had happened! Sorry bout your birds...Wish I could help with some info. but I don't know anything yet about worms

Hey Bee, What kind of lime do you suggest? I am thinking of doing a lime whitewash on the inside of my coop and trying to sift through the different types. ( I know that some can be caustic and I would want to avoid that.)

Back
Top Bottom