Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I used to send them home with my daughter when she was living on campus.    One of her girlfriends would come over and devour them.....

I am 100 years old and never ate a pickled egg! lol I did try to eat some I "tried" to make but they turned to rubber big time so they were tossed. I believe I will go by the grocery today and get what I need to make some. Thanks again for that recipe.

Me too...old..very old and never ate a pickled egg.
sickbyc.gif

I like pickled eggs well enough...if they aren't too sour.

AND...

For an old man, I'm getting a bit excited! The prospect of 'value-added'..ie. CAPONS.

I usually only caponize enough for myself and a few friends who don't like turkey any better than I do. I'm thinking of doing a bunch of cockerels in the spring and trying to create a market for them in this area. At this point I would have to sell live animals but if I could see things going in the right direction in a year or two..I have what was used once as a Grade A goat dairy that could be easily converted to a slaughter house!!

For now...just a dream...but one that is gaining steam.

I am 100 years old and never ate a pickled egg! lol I did try to eat some I "tried" to make but they turned to rubber big time so they were tossed. I believe I will go by the grocery today and get what I need to make some. Thanks again for that recipe.

That is a texture change that happens w/ pickled eggs, they become slightly to some (horribly to others) tough or rubbery. Taste is about the recipe, but texture that is going to happen no matter the recipe.

Me too...old..very old and never ate a pickled egg.
sickbyc.gif

My mother made them every Easter, and she would give them to neighbors and family as a gift. I just make them now that I have a few eggs, and occasionally sell them to folks.

I made some Jalapeno ones upon request by the owner of my feed store, and he loved them. TW, I did add sugar to them to balance out the pickle and the heat. I don't have a recipe though.....more of that taste and adjust thing. I may add some garlic to the Jalapeno ones if I try to make them again.

You are making me dizzy......kinda like having too much sugar!! I have the one lavender Roo, and a hatchmate hen....plus a line in with the breeder of the Marans and the LO. So I could get the stock to do it with. I think she even has Birchen Marans. It would be nice to see what kind of meat bird I could get with that......could caponize and poulardize the culls.....hmmmm.......
hmm.png

For an old man, I'm getting a bit excited! The prospect of 'value-added'..ie. CAPONS.
I usually only caponize enough for myself and a few friends who don't like turkey any better than I do. I'm thinking of doing a bunch of cockerels in the spring and trying to create a market for them in this area. At this point I would have to sell live animals but if I could see things going in the right direction in a year or two..I have what was used once as a Grade A goat dairy that could be easily converted to a slaughter house!!

For now...just a dream...but one that is gaining steam.
smack.gif
You two are SO making me jealous! Access to good stock, space and facilities...
droolin.gif
Picking my drool off the floor now, and stalking off in another direction.... While studiously avoiding the "pickled egg" topic!
Have a good evening!

smack.gif
You two are SO making me jealous! Access to good stock, space and facilities...
droolin.gif
Picking my drool off the floor now, and stalking off in another direction.... While studiously avoiding the "pickled egg" topic!
Have a good evening!
I am so sorry! The only thing I know about pickled eggs is: I eat the ones I like but discreetly discard the ones that I find too sour for my taste...

I know how to caponize cockerels but I'm clueless about pullets. I had intended to order 25 Austra-White cockerels in hopes of keeping 2 or 3 for another 'project'. Now, I have decided to carry out three projects at the same time...more or less.

I have decided to order 50 straight run AW's...use the pullets for actual hands on experience (experimentation) and using the whole bunch as experimental subjects to start on FF from day one.

The bunch that I have just stopped feeding FF had been started on medicated chick starter and had only FF for the last two+ months. I do not really want to experiment with my regular breeding stock and the A-W's at $2.00 bucks each won't bedevil my mind too much. Much to gain, darned little to lose.

Back
Top Bottom