Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I don't mean to high jack this thread but I need some advice... I have 13 - 6 month old girls and up until about 3 weeks ago I was getting 4-6 eggs per day, now I'm lucky if I get one every other day. I added a rooster to the flock about the same time they quit laying and I attributed it to the stress of adding a new flock member. However, now that the rooster has been integrated into the flock and all seem to be getting along just fine, I can't understand what is causing these girls to quit laying cold turkey. I understand that the days are shorter and cooler but these chickens are only 6 months old and I figured they would lay fairly steady in their first year.

Is this normal or am I just not having very good luck ?

I have 8 hens and get one egg a day. I have an EE that quit laying about 2 months ago and 4 others going thru a molt and one non layer. Now they are all at pol and still only 1 egg a day.

My 4 youngest are all about 6 months old, I'd say yours are pretty normal with wx change, daylight change......

I don't mean to high jack this thread but I need some advice... I have 13 - 6 month old girls and up until about 3 weeks ago I was getting 4-6 eggs per day, now I'm lucky if I get one every other day. I added a rooster to the flock about the same time they quit laying and I attributed it to the stress of adding a new flock member. However, now that the rooster has been integrated into the flock and all seem to be getting along just fine, I can't understand what is causing these girls to quit laying cold turkey. I understand that the days are shorter and cooler but these chickens are only 6 months old and I figured they would lay fairly steady in their first year.

Is this normal or am I just not having very good luck ?
it is normal this time of year. you in nova scotia . not only is as cold as pee. but dark. those 2 combo right there will stop an egg layer in it's tracks. there are some breeds that will lay through winter . however most of those slow up as well

There could be a few factors in play. The winter is a natural slow down time but usually some of your younger stock will still lay through their first winter, especially the BAs....I think that's what you have? I've heard of folks having egg loss to rats and squirrels in the winter months and they can cart off a good many eggs and store them in their nests and burrows. To be sure, throwing out some JustOneBite in some safe places near the coop can be a good move.

A family of fat, brown rats would move next door to the coop in an old outhouse where I lived before and I could place poison in that outhouse without fear of the other animals getting it and it would stop some of my feed and egg loss.

Sometimes that's just the luck of the draw, though, and you will have an egg drop in the winter months...each year is different and each flock is different. I have one old bird laying nearly every day, one molting, one hasn't laid since she returned here a year ago and 6 seven month old pullets that are showing no signs at all of laying any time real soon. Nothing. Eating but not laying....grrrrr.

lau.gif

kassandra. where is my naked necks

I would offer to send hatching eggs from my group, but I had a huge preditor loss about a month ago and have to start from almost scratch. Nava on byc has really nice ones she sells chicks and starts hatching in Feb.

I have 8 hens and get one egg a day. I have an EE that quit laying about 2 months ago and 4 others going thru a molt and one non layer. Now they are all at pol and still only 1 egg a day.

My 4 youngest are all about 6 months old, I'd say yours are pretty normal with wx change, daylight change......

It sounds like this may be somewhat normal then, according that your info. I just get frustrated with dishing out a bunch of feed and not get anything in return !

it is normal this time of year. you in nova scotia . not only is as cold as pee. but dark. those 2 combo right there will stop an egg layer in it's tracks. there are some breeds that will lay through winter . however most of those slow up as well

Our temps here are not much different, if at all, from yours in the NE US, actually. Having said that, those temps are likely enough to make them quit laying. I have been reading elsewhere that some have their first year birds laying fairly steady throughout the winter months... Perhaps they'll pickup soon again.

There could be a few factors in play.  The winter is a natural slow down time but usually some of your younger stock will still lay through their first winter, especially the BAs....I think that's what you have?  I've heard of folks having egg loss to rats and squirrels in the winter months and they can cart off a good many eggs and store them in their nests and burrows.  To be sure, throwing out some JustOneBite in some safe places near the coop can be a good move. 

A family of fat, brown rats would move next door to the coop in an old outhouse where I lived before and I could place poison in that outhouse without fear of the other animals getting it and it would stop some of my feed and egg loss. 

Sometimes that's just the luck of the draw, though, and you will have an egg drop in the winter months...each year is different and each flock is different.  I have one old bird laying nearly every day, one molting, one hasn't laid since she returned here a year ago and 6 seven month old pullets that are showing no signs at all of laying any time real soon.  Nothing.  Eating but not laying....grrrrr. 

I'm quite positive at this point that there are no rodents stealing the eggs but I can't keep an eye on the coop 24/7 so it's a possibility. I have one BA, Bee, but he's a rooster. Lol I guess it just may be my gosh darn luck that these birds have taken a hiatus on laying for a bit.

Thank you, all for your info... Very much appreciated.

Come spring you'll be overrun with eggs. With chickens you make money on the fat times to pay for feed during the lean times of winter. Usually first year layers will take you through the winter months enough to have eggs for the family but not enough to keep all your customers happy. That's another reason I cut my layer ration in the winter months and go on cheap feed mode...no egg production, no need for high dollar layer mash. I've tried increasing nutrition during those months and nothing happens, so I drop it and the birds sale through the winter without getting too awful fat from inactivity and nonlaying.

Now you know why I change up my feed in the fall/winter. Saves me money.

Come spring you'll be overrun with eggs.  With chickens you make money on the fat times to pay for feed during the lean times of winter.  Usually first year layers will take you through the winter months enough to have eggs for the family but not enough to keep all your customers happy.  That's another reason I cut my layer ration in the winter months and go on cheap feed mode...no egg production, no need for high dollar layer mash.  I've tried increasing nutrition during those months and nothing happens, so I drop it and the birds sale through the winter without getting too awful fat from inactivity and nonlaying. 

Now you know why I change up my feed in the fall/winter.  Saves me money. 

That's what I've done too, Bee... I'm now feeding half layer mash and half barely with some BOSS mixed in for good measure... I agree, no need to spend all that money during the slower time of the year only to yield no better results than if you were doing something more expensive in regards to feed.

Back
Top Bottom