Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

It matters! Just as long as it's a reasonably balanced diet it should be just perfect for them to maintain homeostasis and thus thermoregulation. My granny fed field corn and her birds did fine, so I think this whole bird nutrition thingy has a wide range of factors and possibilities and I think we can get into over thinking things in the pursuit of trying to do the best job at providing for them.

I think that best job varies from one person to another but it's largely preference and how they feel about it all. Take those with show birds..they feed only "the best" of feeds and even mix complicated formulas they think will make their birds stand out and really shine. Chances are they could just ferment layer ration and get the same results but I doubt you could convince them of that, nor would they take a chance on it because that's how it's always been done, written about and passed along from one breeder to another, one winner to his protege, etc. They've learned you must spend money to get good results...many men feel that way, the whole "you get what you pay for" mentality.

But..many times in this world you can get the same or even better without spending so much time, effort or money on things. Just look at the fine feathering produced by fermenting these feeds...I'd put some of my birds up against any show bird on healthy feathering.

Nutrition matters. It matters in how they gain energy, store it, utilize it, etc. But keeping warmer by adding more of this or that grain or nutrient to a balanced diet? I'm just not convinced, on the information I've learned about the body of mammals and these birds, in particular, that there are any measurable differences being produced there.

"many men feel that way, the whole "you get what you pay for" mentality."

That sounds a bit sexists...I don't suppose any women think theirs is the 'only way'...
lau.gif

Oddly enough, I agree with you to a point. I think domestic rabbits will do better on high quality hay products with little or no grain.

Last edited:
Great info! Yay! Plastic! :)
I used to measure just what they could eat that day into the J feeders and placed chicken wire over the opening so they couldn't shovel it out. Saved a lot of waste. Here's an article about common rabbit feed ingredients and some whole grains such as oats, barley, wheat, sunflower seeds and even, low and behold, distillers grains, are listed as regular ingredients. I'm wondering if such grains could be fermented and fed in their whole form to provide that portion of the feed ration. Angelisici, they make a plastic J feeder......yay!
I like this idea. Hay is tough to digest so fermented grains I'd think would be easy for them and worth a try even if hay is the main feed my creatures love variety. Hmmmm. I use J feeders with an awesome built in screen/drain! but they're metal. This isn't a good thing right? I know the ACV is corrosive but if fed small amounts grains w/acv daily in it, could it be dangerous? If I ferment a batch with say, buttermilk? Is it corrosive to the metal after it ferments or is it just the Vinager that does it?
I'm wondering if you were to just feed them fermented whole grains and then leave the alfalfa dry if it would be a less messy prospect. The grains could then be placed in a plastic "L" feeder and drain off any excess moisture.

:gig "oddly enough I agree..." Lmao!

[COLOR=333333]"many men feel that way, the whole "you get what you pay for" mentality."   [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]That sounds a bit sexists...I don't suppose any women think theirs is the 'only way'...:lau [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Oddly enough, I agree with you to a point.  I think domestic rabbits will do better on high quality hay products with little or no grain.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]"many men feel that way, the whole "you get what you pay for" mentality."   [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]That sounds a bit sexists...I don't suppose any women think theirs is the 'only way'...:lau [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Oddly enough, I agree with you to a point.  I think domestic rabbits will do better on high quality hay products with little or no grain.[/COLOR]

Well ours is the only way! I'm sure you have heard the old saying, "Mother knows best." Juuust kidding! hahaha. :)

And BTW! Bee is not the sexiest! LOL

Last edited:
Well.... I am taking a fishnet out to gather eggs! LOL It rained cats and dogs and I think I saw a pony or two coming down yesterday!!! LOL

Well ours is the only way! I'm sure you have heard the old saying, "Mother knows best." Juuust kidding! hahaha.
smile.png

And BTW! Bee is not the sexiest! LOL

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...
idunno.gif
and I didn't say she is...I used the conditional sense, I believe but she certainly is very opinionated.
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
OK....Here's the new situation I stopped using FF for my trial pullets because despite the fact that they look pretty good, (they also have access to my usual concoction), they are laying smaller eggs than the ones that are not getting FF.

Therefore, there will be no reason for me to return to this thread. I'm sure I'll see a few of you on other threads and I really enjoyed getting to know those of you who haven't been determined to be right at any cost...PM me some time.

Over and out!!!
frow.gif

Great info! Yay! Plastic!
smile.png

I like this idea. Hay is tough to digest so fermented grains I'd think would be easy for them and worth a try even if hay is the main feed my creatures love variety. Hmmmm. I use J feeders with an awesome built in screen/drain! but they're metal. This isn't a good thing right? I know the ACV is corrosive but if fed small amounts grains w/acv daily in it, could it be dangerous? If I ferment a batch with say, buttermilk? Is it corrosive to the metal after it ferments or is it just the Vinager that does it?
any acid is corrosive to metal. I've even had galvanized feeders and water tubs corrode because leaf debris got in them when they weren't being used, got wet and started to break down, creating organic acids.

Back
Top Bottom