Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

So I am new to all this and have my very first batch of red broilers (21 in all) in the brooder. They should be two weeks old tomorrow or Monday (I am not sure if the hatchery shipped them the same day as they hatched or the next day. Anyhow, right now they are on starter feed but I am looking to start fermenting at least when I finish the stater.
Forgive me if I ask stupid questions.
1. Do you buy commercial feed at s TSC or equivalent or do you buy grains and self mix your feed?
2. If you self mix, would you mind sharing your recipe? There are plenty online but all seem very complicated.
3. I would love to be organic and GMO free but I am not sure that is realistically even possible

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want my chicks to eat the best I can offer.

I just ferment non-organic feed. The first bag I buy is chick starter then after they finish (obviously depends on how many I have) I switch to layer feed. Or at least that's what I'm doing this time. I've gleaned from this site that layer feed, with its extra calcium is good for their fast growing bones.

I've got 22 cornish crosses and they are fat, healthy and vibrant with the fermented feed.

There are many folks on this thread that mixing their own feed so maybe someone will chime on with that type of advice.

It's an easy "system" with a lot of benefits. (Lower water consumption, higher vigor, all with lower feed costs) so don't be afraid to give it a try.

I sure am missing Bee on here and I know you guys are to. Praying her computer is OK

Hi Rose. Bee is having some computer problems. That and she has been real busy around the house trying to get her garden in and a million other things. But she will be back shortly for sure. Somebody did do some work on her computer. I hope you are doing well. :)

So I am new to all this and have my very first batch of red broilers (21 in all) in the brooder. They should be two weeks old tomorrow or Monday (I am not sure if the hatchery shipped them the same day as they hatched or the next day. Anyhow, right now they are on starter feed but I am looking to start fermenting at least when I finish the stater.
1. Do you buy commercial feed at s TSC or equivalent or do you buy grains and self mix your feed?
2. If you self mix, would you mind sharing your recipe? There are plenty online but all seem very complicated.
3. I would love to be organic and GMO free but I am not sure that is realistically even possible

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want my chicks to eat the best I can offer.
Where do you live? You can get organic, non soy, non GMO, in most states. I buy expensive feed for my layers because I sell "organic" eggs. But the chicks just get the cheapest chick starter. It comes with all the necessary vitamins and minerals for them. It ferments just fine.
I had some sick chickens the past few weeks and have added "sweet feed" to their FF to see if it won't help get them laying again. My favorite hens aren't laying and have been wormed, don't have mites, etc. I think it is the roosters. When they are all gone things will go back to normal. MEN! Wouldn't ya just know! : )

Hi Melbu. Welcome to fermented feed! :) I believe most everybody goes about feed in a different way. Some uuse straight starter or layer and some mix a lot of different grains for their feed. Starting out it might be best to stick with the already formulated feeds so you don't have to worry about the protein, energy, all the vitamins, minerals, etc. I've got 12 CX and they are just finishing up their first bag of gamebird feed (20%). Now they will go on what the layers and everybody else eats. You're right, it would be very difficult to go GMO-free. It would be hard to find non-GMO feed! ...and that's scary!

Hi @melbu23, this will help you.
http://www.nongmoproject.org/find-non-gmo/search-participating-products/?catID=10
Hiland Naturals is the one I started buying and they have local dealers listed on their website if stores in your area don't carry it. I lucked out and buy from a farm not 3 miles from my house. I hope you find a convenient source. If you're near a large city, there are some people organizing group buys and having it shipped from various companies.

I just ferment non-organic feed. The first bag I buy is chick starter then after they finish (obviously depends on how many I have) I switch to layer feed. Or at least that's what I'm doing this time. I've gleaned from this site that layer feed, with its extra calcium is good for their fast growing bones.

I've got 22 cornish crosses and they are fat, healthy and vibrant with the fermented feed.

There are many folks on this thread that mixing their own feed so maybe someone will chime on with that type of advice.

It's an easy "system" with a lot of benefits. (Lower water consumption, higher vigor, all with lower feed costs) so don't be afraid to give it a try.
That is interesting. I was told that the extra calcium you hut their kidneys but maybe not once they are a few weeks old? Never thought about their bones. Will have to do a bit of research on that as I have 21 meat birds (i ordered 25 but 2 arrived deceased and 2 more passed in the first 24 hours. All has been well since.) and 6 layers (1 buff orphington, 3 amaracuanas and 2 production reds). So I will have to either separate them or decide on one feed fits all.

Where do you live? You can get organic, non soy, non GMO, in most states. I buy expensive feed for my layers because I sell "organic" eggs. But the chicks just get the cheapest chick starter. It comes with all the necessary vitamins and minerals for them. It ferments just fine.
I had some sick chickens the past few weeks and have added "sweet feed" to their FF to see if it won't help get them laying again. My favorite hens aren't laying and have been wormed, don't have mites, etc. I think it is the roosters. When they are all gone things will go back to normal. MEN! Wouldn't ya just know! : )
I live in NY (Buffalo area). I am looking to find somewhat local feed mills (not distributors). I'll let ya'll know how I make out.
I am trying not to medicate unless they are actually sick so my starter was non medicated. I will try a small potion and ferment it to see how it goes =). Stay tuned!

Hi Melbu. Welcome to fermented feed!
smile.png
I believe most everybody goes about feed in a different way. Some uuse straight starter or layer and some mix a lot of different grains for their feed. Starting out it might be best to stick with the already formulated feeds so you don't have to worry about the protein, energy, all the vitamins, minerals, etc. I've got 12 CX and they are just finishing up their first bag of gamebird feed (20%). Now they will go on what the layers and everybody else eats. You're right, it would be very difficult to go GMO-free. It would be hard to find non-GMO feed! ...and that's scary!
Thanks for the welcome! I will have to content myself for now with the fact that these little guys spoiled and will not be injected of fed medication, hormones or other chemicals but rather will get to go out on the grass picking grass, bugs and so on and generally have a pretty nice life. Although I am not giving up hope to eventually get there, It might have to be next years badge as I have my hands full setting everything up this year

Hi @melbu23 , this will help you.
http://www.nongmoproject.org/find-non-gmo/search-participating-products/?catID=10
Hiland Naturals is the one I started buying and they have local dealers listed on their website if stores in your area don't carry it. I lucked out and buy from a farm not 3 miles from my house. I hope you find a convenient source. If you're near a large city, there are some people organizing group buys and having it shipped from various companies.
Cool - thanks for the link - I will check this out! I would not mind to partner with others either. (I post in the NY thread and am hoping to make lasting connections =).

Long run the extra calcium can do damage technically. But these are meat chickens due to be processed in a fairly short amount of time (8 to 16 weeks depending on breed growing) and the long term possible side effects should not present an issue because the bird will not be grown out for egg laying or breeding (in normal situations).

Another similar example of meaties and bending rules, is we use huge wire bottom brooders. We were told wire is bad for their feet and they can develop leg problems as adults being on wire. Doing some research this was true, but all studies showed chicks raised on wire for 6-8 weeks or more. They leg issues presenting themselves between 5 and 6 months giving then adult bird issues. We only brood in brooders for 1 to 2 weeks max before they go out to range. Plus they're feet are Soooooo much bigger than a lil layer peeps. So we get easy peasy clean up trays and clean meaties feet with no leg issues because they don't brood as long and will be processed before they hit the age of adulthood.

With meat birds there seems to be exceptions to the normal protocols :gig
That is interesting. I was told that the extra calcium you hut their kidneys but maybe not once they are a few weeks old? Never thought about their bones. Will have to do a bit of research on that as I have 21 meat birds (i ordered 25 but 2 arrived deceased and 2 more passed in the first 24 hours. All has been well  since.) and 6 layers (1 buff orphington, 3 amaracuanas and 2 production reds). So I will have to either separate them or decide on one feed fits all.

I live in NY (Buffalo area). I am looking to find somewhat local feed mills (not distributors). I'll let ya'll know how I make out.
I am trying not to medicate unless they are actually sick so my starter was non medicated. I will try a small potion and ferment it to see how it goes =). Stay tuned!

Thanks for the welcome! I will have to content myself for now with the fact that these little guys  spoiled and will not be injected of fed medication, hormones or other chemicals but rather will get to go out on the grass picking grass, bugs and so on and generally have a pretty nice life. Although I am not giving up hope to eventually get there, It might have to be next years badge as I have my hands full setting everything up this year

Cool - thanks for the link - I will check this out! I would not mind to partner with others either. (I post in the NY thread and am hoping to make lasting connections =).

Back
Top Bottom