Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Timely info for me Beekissed!
I wrote a post yesterday that was 'eaten' and didn't show up!
I have 3 wk olds FR (and 5 SLW) chicks that have just finished up the bag of starter crumbles that I have been fermenting and I was wondering if it was ok to switch them to grains this soon. Also wondering if I should cut grains/crumbles to increase the protein but seeing that you fermented layer mash for meaties, I assume that the answer to that would be no!
I stopped at the local mill to see what they had available and they do make a layer mash so maybe I will pick that up today and start them on it. I also have the remainder of my scratch grains and some cracked corn that I started fermenting, so may use some of that.

thanks again for you infinite wisdom!

Started fermenting layer mash on Tuesday and boy am I happy with it. It stirs well, ferments rapidly, and drains sooooo much better than the starter or meatbird feed. My fourteen 21 week olds are up to 7 eggs a day and I know for sure that two of them have laid an egg a day for two weeks.

Thanks for the layer info Bee, I just switched my 13 week olds over to layer with the rest of the flock because the local mill only had medicated starter and I was worried the extra calcium would be bad for them (better than medicated though IMO), you've easied my mind again
smile.png

I like layer feeds because they seem to have a middle of the road, easy to use nutrition...not the high pro of broiler feed, about the same as grower feed, just a tad better than going straight to whole grains. I use layer feeds during the months of high production for hens or when young birds are getting rapid growth. You don't feed grade schoolers or teenagers on baby foods in real life.... and I don't do it in the poultry yard either.

Younger, or teenage birds, are really forming their bone strength and muscle structures at about the time they have feathered out a little....you can see it in the increase in activity, the exploring and the hunting/foraging instinct.

I'm not for one minute saying that I know more than all the poultry nutritionist experts, just telling you what I have seen in my own flocks over the years. When I was just doing chickens all these years, all our chickens ate the same thing...it's easier. Then I got worried about the whole calcium thingy after joining here and seeing how alarmed everyone was about it all... and changed the way we had done it for years upon years to see if it had any real effect. It did. I saw birds that were slower to feather, slower to grow, less durable on the whole.

So I went back to what we have always done because it was pretty successful compared to feeding all this chick starter for great lengths.

So glad I found this post:) I have laying hens and I sprout organic BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) and hard red wheat for them. I'm looking for a recipe that I can sprout various grains and add supplements if needed (flax, kelp, etc.). Does anyone have a whole grain recipe that is balanced? I would like to get away from commercial feed. I feed organic soy-free. Since sprouting just the 2 ingredients, my chickens are eating less of the commercial feed and laying more eggs. I want to introduce a balanced sprouted diet and supplements if needed before I stop buying bags of commercial feed. I add raw ACV to the soak water which helps to keep the grains from molding. Here's a link to the bag that I am using:

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/compost-tea-extractor.html

I bought it at a local nursery. I can sprout grains together and it makes it much easier...so I figure it's money well spent. I soak for 12 hours, then I then pour into a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled on the bottom in the morning. Give it a good rinse before leaving for work. Give another good rinse when I get home. Next morning, the sprouts are perfect. I soak a new set while the grains are sprouting. Any ideas on a balanced recipe? I have 40 chickens and will purchase another bag when I get away from commercial feed.

Thanks so much!

http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html

This site has multiple recipes. Scroll to the bottom of the page for soy-free. There is also a paragraph which tells which recipe is for which situation. I find it very informative.

I believe sprouting grains makes their nutritional composition a bit different (better) doesn't it? So, maybe it would be as easy as picking a recipe and sprouting all the grains and it would be even better, right?

Picked up layer mash and also agree at how nicely it ferments/drains, etc. Feeding it and the last bucket of the fermented crumbles.

Beekissed, thanks again for your information on what you have discovered re: layer mash etc. Now I have a great option for feeding out my meaties and layers.
thumbsup.gif

Question for those who live in states that have winter: how do you deal with your fermentation set up in the winter time?

Thanks!

How much grain + how much water are you using before pouring into your 5-gallon bucket?
By the way, just remember that chickens are omnivorous and will do better if they have some animal type protein in their diet as well.
Here is a link that might interest you -
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Sprouting.html
I've been wanting to do what he does but I am only just now getting to a point where I can try it.

Quote:
So glad I found this post:) I have laying hens and I sprout organic BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) and hard red wheat for them. I'm looking for a recipe that I can sprout various grains and add supplements if needed (flax, kelp, etc.). Does anyone have a whole grain recipe that is balanced? I would like to get away from commercial feed. I feed organic soy-free. Since sprouting just the 2 ingredients, my chickens are eating less of the commercial feed and laying more eggs. I want to introduce a balanced sprouted diet and supplements if needed before I stop buying bags of commercial feed. I add raw ACV to the soak water which helps to keep the grains from molding. Here's a link to the bag that I am using:

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/compost-tea-extractor.html

I bought it at a local nursery. I can sprout grains together and it makes it much easier...so I figure it's money well spent. I soak for 12 hours, then I then pour into a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled on the bottom in the morning. Give it a good rinse before leaving for work. Give another good rinse when I get home. Next morning, the sprouts are perfect. I soak a new set while the grains are sprouting. Any ideas on a balanced recipe? I have 40 chickens and will purchase another bag when I get away from commercial feed.

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom