Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Thanks for those great links JoyfulPromise. Some good reading there.

Quote:
Good point about fermenting organic soy but here is so much controversy around soy I may stick to my peas to keep the protein up.

I thought you all might find this article interesting!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15185618
[Campylobacter and Salmonella control in chickens and the role of fermented food].

[Article in Dutch]
Heres L.
Source - Centraal Instituut voor DierziekteControle (CIDC-Lelystad), Postbus 2004, 8203 AA Lelystad. [email protected]
Abstract - Salmonella and Campylobacter are undesirable pathogens on poultry. Therefore the effect of fermented feed on the colonization in the gastro-intestinal tract of the chicken, the introduction of both bacteria in a chicken flocks, and the transmission between chickens was studied. Broilers that were fed with fermented feed were significantly less susceptible for Salmonella and Campylobacter than chickens on a standard chicken feed. The spread of Salmonella between broiler chickens was reduced. However, the results also showed, like for other known control measures, that this feed can not absolutely guarantee the absence of Salmonella and Campylobacter. Therefore fermented feed must be seen as one of the hurdles in a so called multiple hurdle strategy. The combination of different hurdles should prevent the introduction and transmission. The effect of fermented feed on Campylobacter and Salmonella is partially caused by the presence of high concentrations of organic acids. In chickens fed with liquid feed the acidic barrier in the first part of the GI-tract was clearly improved. Besides organic acids there are other changes in the GI-tract. Changes in colonization levels of indicator organisms, changes in levels of organic acids and an increased pH in ileum and ceacum. These changes indicate a stabilised GI-flora in fermented feed fed poultry. The research confirmed that by changes in the composition of the feed (carbohydrates, acids, or micro-organisms) the GI-health can be promoted and therewith can contribute to the control of food pathogens in farmed animals.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

OK folks I ve been lurking in this forum for a couple months... reading, learning and making notes... Today is the day I jump on the FF bandwagon:) Im doing a small batch of Cornish Cross for fall. They are 2 weeks old now and happy little campers.
*So I have my feed mix. Im using a mixture of flock raiser and game bird chow. Ill probably add grains to it soon not sure how old they need to be to add the grains.

*Ive got my buckets and a collander in case I need it.
*I took the base from a waterer and fixed it for a feed dish for now. Will go to PVC pipe or gutter when they are a bit bigger..
*Ive got my ACV with Mother
* Ive got Water.. Oh and the little chickens :)
*Im gonna set it to soak tonite and hopefully by the next afternoon it will be ready to feed about 18 hours give or take..

So wish me luck I hope I do this right :)

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Awesome thread! I am up to page 31 and started my fermenting bucket today.
I don't seem to have any old pantyhose around to put over the top to keep bugs out (80's where just so darn long ago...lol). I used the same small drill bit that I made holes in the bottom of the bucket with and drilled a bunch of holes in the bucket lid. I hope it works!
Cant wait for the whole mess to start bubbling!
I do not have meat birds but I do have lots of cockerels that I am going to process in about a month. I found this thread while looking for tips on what to feed birds that might fatten them up or make them taste extra good. Love the ideas.
Around here in Hawaii there are lots of wild pigs that are caught and fattened up to slaughter. We also have a lot of macadamia farms and I have heard that feeding pigs the mac nut scraps makes them super yummy. Wonder if it would work for chickens? lol

Back
Top Bottom