Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I managed to read the first three pages of this thread...now there are 153 pages and there is no way I can read them all!

My questions:

1 - where do you keep your ferment in the winter? My buckets are currently outside but they will freeze solid come winter. I certainly don't want to bring them inside.

2 - I tried to feed my critters as 'natural' as possible. I loved what I read about the fermenting (increases protein, healthier birds, easier digestion), but I wonder how/where birds in the wild would get such a thing as fermented grains...

Thoughts?

Karen in WA with 34 layers; oldest 2-1/2 yrs

They wouldn't...but they would also not be eating highly processed GMO seed grains either. Fermenting the available feed sources is one way of gaining more and better nutrition out of the poor substitute for what they would glean in the wild. Unless you have a tropical paradise all year long in which your birds can forage, feeding something to supplement their diet with grain based feeds is what they get.

We've had several discussions in the past several days on the pros and cons of winter FF and how each plans to do it or what they plan to try, so maybe you could back it up a little and read from this end of the thread to see what everyone has already said.
wink.png

Sorry to be so far behind, but this thread is really hopping!
Jeapa, those birds are Beautiful! I agree about your RIR. I also like the look of your GLW. What hatchery did you use?

Thanks Nomibear. I got them from Meyer's hatchery. I figured since I don't plan on showing my chickens I didn't need expensive sq birds. I am very happy with the chicks Meyer's sent me. :D

So, I was intrigued by the mention of using alfalfa cubes to provide a fermented green. I purchased a 50lb bag from my feed store and embarked on an experiment. Not having any reference as to how much to try, I added a large double handful of the cubes to my 5g FF bucket. 24 hours later, and I have made a few observations.
1: Never, ever, EVER underestimate the water absorbtion capabilities of dehydrated grass, lol. I have been adding water a few glugs at a time every couple of hour since. It's still drinking, lol.
2: Never, ever, EVER underestimate just how much volume that alfalfa hay loses as it is dehydrated and is compacted into cubes, lol. I now have a 5g bucket FULL of FF and am eyballing the empty bucket next to it wondering if I will need to expand my oporations.
3: Adding massive infusions of food into the brew all at once tends to dramatically slow the firmentation process, aparently you CAN choke a bacteria by shoving food down it's throat, lol.
4: It's popular. Even with the firmentation just now catching up with the influx of food, my chickens are tearing into it.
5: It smells SO much better, so far. I love the smell of that alfala, dry and in the bag, or in the bucket. I may change my mind as the firment catches back up and I fine tune the right amount of cubes to add at a time, but for now; mmmmmmmmm....hay.

So, I was intrigued by the mention of using alfalfa cubes to provide a fermented green. I purchased a 50lb bag from my feed store and embarked on an experiment. Not having any reference as to how much to try, I added a large double handful of the cubes to my 5g FF bucket. 24 hours later, and I have made a few observations.
1: Never, ever, EVER underestimate the water absorbtion capabilities of dehydrated grass, lol. I have been adding water a few glugs at a time every couple of hour since. It's still drinking, lol.
2: Never, ever, EVER underestimate just how much volume that alfalfa hay loses as it is dehydrated and is compacted into cubes, lol. I now have a 5g bucket FULL of FF and am eyballing the empty bucket next to it wondering if I will need to expand my oporations.
3: Adding massive infusions of food into the brew all at once tends to dramatically slow the firmentation process, aparently you CAN choke a bacteria by shoving food down it's throat, lol.
4: It's popular. Even with the firmentation just now catching up with the influx of food, my chickens are tearing into it.
5: It smells SO much better, so far. I love the smell of that alfala, dry and in the bag, or in the bucket. I may change my mind as the firment catches back up and I fine tune the right amount of cubes to add at a time, but for now; mmmmmmmmm....hay.

Ok really funny and it's great you've done a bit of the leg work for us. Where did you get the alfalfa cubes?

Back
Top Bottom