Ferral Tom Cat VS. Chickens

roachman

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
This morning I was sitting on the deck having my cup of coffee at sunrise. My Black Sex linked pullet gave out a warning cry. A tom cat had jumped over our fence in the backyard. and He was stalking her. All of a sudden my two dominate Silver Laced Wynodottes came running out of the backyard. They stopped in their tracks when they saw the cat. All of a sudden their neck feathers flaired up and they began screaming. In a flash they had charged the cat, followed by 8 other screaming chickens. The cat had no idea what to do. He arched his back and blew his tail up. He hissed and spit at them. He made a B- line and jummped over the fence, he was gone in a cloud of dust. The chickens remained at the fence watching the cat run away still screaming and clucking. I cannot believe what I saw.
ep.gif
They were like a pact of Raptors chasing down their prey. I am very proud of my girls, especially proud of my two dominate females who protected the other girls. There will be extra treats, hugs and kisses today. I LOVE MY GIRLS !!
love.gif
clap.gif

I've seen my old farm cat run from my little flock several times. Just yesterday they ran for treats, scared the cat, and he ran as if he were on fire!
lol.png
It is an aweful lot of fun to see!

Score 1 for the chickees----but that cat will be back....

I know many will disagree with me, as is their right, but I trap feral cats and SSS.

Feral cats WILL kill chickens; usually isolating and honing in on the bird free ranging by itself

Hehe! Chickens are funny! I had two males that were good sized cats. They were nice to the chickens, but the same could not be said of the chickens. I always had a couple who would go right after them. I still have the boys mom. She is on the small side. She lays amongst them and they never go after her. It's kinda funny how they would go after the big boys, but leave her alone.

I agree. He will be back and wait for the opportunity to single out a chicken. Contrary to popular opinion many chickens get seriously injured or killed by feral cats.

Please also note that birds (not sure about poultry though) are VERY susceptible to the bacteria that cats harbor in/under their nails, so even if the cat just scratches the chicken and does no other harm, they could lose their life to bacterial infection.

well you guys were right, he came back but was in the next yard just looking,, and as soon as the girls zero in on him ,he was gone in a heart beat. plus my 2 French bull dogs saw him too and went nuts to get at him,, this time I think he learn his lesson, don't mess with my girls and the Bullies or they will get you
droolin.gif
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom