Ferret attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Joy1, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Killed my beautiful chickens. I managed to save just one. [​IMG]

2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    im so sorry! pm me if you want to talk

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. Didn't know ferrets were wild in England. [​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

So very sorry for your loss, Joy1. Condolences, and I hope you're able to find some friends for your lone survivor soon.
    :aww [​IMG]

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry!!! [​IMG] I know how awful I would feel if that happened to my cluckers. [​IMG]

6. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I am so sorry for your loss.

7. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:They aren't wild here!! This must have been a pet that escaped. We had a loss a couple of years ago that we thought was down to a polecat. 7 chickens and my beautiful duck and drake killed, only one duck survived. We learned later that a guy down the road had 'lost' his ferret at that time, thankfully they moved away as the ferret was always disappearing. What does it take to make a cage ferret proof??
    I am really sorry to hear about your loss - you need to try and trap the ferret.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:I may be mistaken, but I think that ferrets and European polecats are closely related. Polecats are wild, and ferrets are their domesticated cousins. However, it is common for people to refer to them all as ferrets. I know that here we have wild ferrets, the black footed ferret. I know we have them locally because one of my barn cats had a dead baby one once.

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    So sorry to hear about this! [​IMG]

Let's be glad it wasn't someone's pet alligator that got lost in the sewers.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Oh my! That is even worse if it was a pet that got out or was released.

I never thought of them escaping as I knew people with pet ferrets that were strictly indoors and in a designated room. They were housed in very large rabbit type cages that were multiple stores. To trap it, I'd bait with catfood and use a standard sized mink or weasel trap. I'd figure to make a coop ferret proof, proof it much like you would for a mink or weasal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by