fertile egg? UP DATE!!! I think i saw a vein!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I was candling one of the eggs that is in our homemade bator, and I noticed a shadow inside the egg. It's the 5th day for the egg. There are no visible veins, but I was wondering what this shadow was? Is it just the yolk? It moves whenever I turn the egg.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    can't ANYONE on here tell me if it's fertile or not? [​IMG] I mean, there must be someone who knows if an egg is fertile or not because we ARE at a"chicken" forum! [​IMG]

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OMG no one in this whole CHICKEN forum knows the dif. between a fertile or non-fertile egg?! wow that's a surprise! [​IMG]

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    anyone? why doesn't anyone know if an egg is fertile? I REALLY need some answers please!!! an answer to this simple question shouldn't be this hard to find..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It sounds like its the yolk. After the eggs have been in the incubator 5 days you should clearly see veins.

6. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    By the fifth day you should be able to see veins and hopefully a little dark dot which is the eye. Hope this helps.

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    ya but won't it be delayed since we had to move the eggs and bator for an hour car ride? That's what someone told me.
    I'm not giving up on my babies yet! [​IMG] I will wait until like the 12 day and if not veins show, then they aren't fertile. [​IMG]

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:but i read that you have to wait until the 7th day before you see veins....? [​IMG]

9. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    I agree I think all you have is an infertile egg and you are seeing the yolk moving. There should be some veining in a fertile egg.

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    hold on I am gonna go check the eggs right now for veins. I haven't candled them yet today, and yesterday night was when i saw the dark shadow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by