Fertile eggs at the grocery store? ****Picture Added Page 4****

pop.gif
so intersting please update.....NOW!!!!!

Quote:
That makes sense that the day-of-the-year number is the day they were packed, rather than when they were laid. The 'P' probably stands for 'packed'.

The facility code's probably that 4 digit number.

I will try post some pics tonight. They all developed, but only 7 made it through hatching and I lost 2 early on. So now I have 5 little week old chicks. They are yellow and so far wing feathers are white. I was able to email the farm that produced the eggs and found out they are RIR x leghorn. The eggs were brown so I'm assuming the mom was RIR. I'm thinking when they feather out more I will see some red feathers in the mix. I've only hatched ameraucanas and wyandottes before, so I think their tiny combs are ADORABLE
smile.png

clap.gif
That is simply awesome - what cute chicks. That's really neat that you were able to find out what they are from the farm.

Yup, just had to google them and email them. It would for sure be a great project for kids. I had much much much better development with these eggs than the dozens of ebay eggs I've tried. Sure they aren't a rare purebred bunch, but most of the fun was trying to figure out what they are
smile.png

Unless you really need purebreds for a breeding project, or you intend to show them, or you just have your heart set on such-and-such a breed, you can have just as much fun and satisfaction from any ol' mixed breed or mutt you can hatch. So I'm all for getting grocery store eggs to hatch, or eggs from a neighbor or local farm. Save the $ for something else! (Like building a bigger coop...)

Back
Top Bottom