fertile eggs on plane... 5/26/11 UPDATE... Ca. eggs are here in Ill. !

mmaddie's mom :

The TSA will not give me a straight answer... have had everything from:
each egg must have a label with the oz./weight printed on it...
must be like all 3-1-1 items and be transported in a quart plastic bag...
"you could hard boil them"...
to...
it is up to the screener and what kind of mood he/she is in that day... etc... etc...
Also have been hung up on while waiting for a supervisor.

I am traveling from California to Illinois.

Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone out there work for the TSA? Do they have to go through the x-ray or can they be personally inspected? Is there some sort of paperwork I need to get ahead of time to do this?

I would love to bring some eggs home to add to my flock.

Hope someone out there has an answer.

ps: Tried to do this with eggs from Ireland, but no luck, import issues. I thought within the States it would be easier... so far... NOT!

What the Indy TSA officer told me is they do not need to be xrayed. They will need their NPIP paperwork and they will test the carton and eggs with a paper that picks up chemicals. They need to have easy access to them though. I would call ahead to the airport to the airports you plan to use and take names of the people you speak with (try to get a tsa supervisor). I have a friend traveling to CA from IN and she thought about getting eggs while she was out there.

Now I am going back to read the whole thread.
wink.png

March 12, 2011
UPDATE: Husband on a business trip to Tenn. decided he would try a trial run on trying to bring fertile eggs on the airplane.

He found a nice lady in Tenn. who just GAVE him some fertile eggs! Thank You , nice Lady somewhere in Tenn.

He carried them right out in the open and presented them to the TSA person... TSA person said, "Never had this request before... let me call my Supervisor."
Supervisor came over and looked them over, tested for explosive residue, said, "I understand why you don't want them to go through the x-ray... just tell them your story when you go through and they will take them for you and return them on the other side." Just before my husband was to step through, the Supervisor came back over and said, "Here, I'll take them and meet you on the other side." EASY PEASY!

Eggs are home and ready to go in to the incubator!

2 things I think that helped...
#1 everything right out front and in the open and a complete willingness to give them over if it couldn't be done
#2 my husband showed up about 4 hours early and the lines were not busy at all (he always likes to show up early, but this was extremely early, even for him... but business was done and he had no where else to be anyway)

Now for the second half of the trial run! I have a brand new Brinsea ECO 20 AND I have never used an incubator before!

I think I will be all prepared and ready to go when the California trip in May comes around and the "real" good eggs come home... hope that trip will be as successful!

Will start a new thread on the first time incubation w/my airplane eggs!

Hope this experience will encourage more to try it!

Glad to hear this! TSA aren't the evil beings we sometimes think they are. For some people, getting a patdown from a TSA agent is as close as they get to a date, so how bad can it be?

They're people just like us, and I think by and large, most of them use common sense in their jobs. I agree that your DH was likely successful in this because of his openness and willingness to give up the eggs if it were to become necessary. And it's nice that he was able to get those eggs for free. It would suck to pay $3 or $4 apiece of eggs, only to have a TSA agent take them from you at the gate. That would suck.

So I spoke with TSA on my last flight yesterday - confirming Mmaddie's Mom's husband's (Mmaddie's dad?) story they said that you can request to have anything "hand inspected" you would prefer not to be x-rayed - including eggs.
wink.png

Southwest Airlines is running a cover story about eggs right now, so quite apropos for all of us traveling with poultry!

Back
Top Bottom