Silky hatch-along and OdoBan on eggs experiment

I've got to get a new coop built ASAP for the silkies. I'm going to make it so that I can slowly introduce new kids as the get old enough to mingle with the adult kids. Designed around the see but not touch principal. My wife explained that one to me many decades ago before we got our first chickens.
Ours don't perch so we took the perch out. They sit on the rail in front of the nest boxes so poop in their walkway which I just sprinkle stall refresher (cheap version of Sweet PDZ) on there and on top of the nest boxes where a few others jump up to. He had made them ramps to get up to both levels of nest boxes.

A 2x4 in front of the nest boxes wide side up should be sufficient for their sleep area then. I have this crazy plan to make the next boxes modular so when there is a broody I can move her into a stall where she is alone on the same nest box of eggs. Now she has a private poop and exercise run along with a dust bath and no other bird can mess with her nest of eggs while she does it. I have a 16 x14 hoop house I'm converting to a silkie mansion.

They are almost 7 weeks now and really should get moved outside. Days are in upper 30's and 40's with some even in the 50's, but some nights are still dipping below freezing. We'd be putting them in the aviary that has a hutch and a cozy coop inside of it so they have a place to stay warm, but it's no life for them if they can't stand to be outside of it for more than a few moments. I've been taking them outside on the "warmer" days so they're somewhat acclimated.

Decisions, decisions. Maybe one more week inside will give them more feathers and we'll do it!

IMG_0712.jpeg

They are almost 7 weeks now and really should get moved outside. Days are in upper 30's and 40's with some even in the 50's, but some nights are still dipping below freezing. We'd be putting them in the aviary that has a hutch and a cozy coop inside of it so they have a place to stay warm, but it's no life for them if they can't stand to be outside of it for more than a few moments. I've been taking them outside on the "warmer" days so they're somewhat acclimated.

Decisions, decisions. Maybe one more week inside will give them more feathers and we'll do it!

?View attachment 3767471
It's been 7 weeks already!?! Wow they are looking good 😊 those cuckoos!

My silkies are in the new coop. They have a brooder with heat if needed and a place that is very draft free they seem to like. They even seem excited to be in their new digs.
Awe, that's awesome!

We JUST moved these 10 out to the aviary (off the breeding pen.) The low is 23F, but they have a Cozy Coop heater inside the hutch inside the aviary so they stay toasty warm in there. Tomorrow, they'll come out and run around. High of 60F!

We have no chicks in the house tonight for the first time in several weeks!

Awe, that's awesome!

We JUST moved these 10 out to the aviary (off the breeding pen.) The low is 23F, but they have a Cozy Coop heater inside the hutch inside the aviary so they stay toasty warm in there. Tomorrow, they'll come out and run around. High of 60F!

We have no chicks in the house tonight for the first time in several weeks!
Wow! It's going to be so quiet! Hehe, empty nesters tonight :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom