Pics
Babies side by side
Father:
4DEAB19B-CCAC-40F6-A679-4CD3DC52E265.jpeg
patches:
A2CE5E45-3BDA-4998-BB37-348197AB4376.jpeg
butternut:
4A05DF17-88D6-4AB0-B269-ACC6E49DA1D9.jpeg
thats all I got for now, probably will have more pictures tomorrow! Like I said, I am just duplicating the father.

Yo what-? The black chicks turned out white and buff- with hints of black- rooster is definitely dom white. Maybe even buff aswell.
Leghorn X EE
1976C484-4671-4652-A98D-91CB12D224FE.jpeg
buff orpington X EE
3A0621BF-A002-41F9-AAF0-D93170F7936B.jpeg
black sexlink X ee chick 1
7095BCA1-6954-43DC-BD69-667390255198.jpeg
chick 2
2181D01C-1AB9-44DC-B26E-DEA8BF883B88.jpeg
their pattern changed over night!

Last edited:
I think I got the parents wrong. The last chick is probably
GLW X EE
the “black eggs” where buff orpington eggs.
And the white egg is the only one I got right, as it’s the only white layer I have.

Yo what-? The black chicks turned out white and buff- with hints of black-
their pattern changed over night!

Are you saying you saw a black chick one day, and the same chick is now mostly white? Chick color can certainly look different when they are wet vs. dry, but that is quite a significant change.

rooster is definitely dom white. Maybe even buff aswell.
Are you talking about the EE cockerel in this post?
Tossed and replaced the white egg as I noticed it was cracked. (I relalllyyyy want a white egg in there. As white is a dormant feather color, and the rooster is also somewhat white. And a EE so hoping for a light colored EE.) heres the rooster.View attachment 3226940pretty boy. Heres him as a chickfor what we are expecting some chicks to kibda look like, if they hatch of course.View attachment 3226941teenage age. (I clearly love this boy I have like 60 pictures of him.)View attachment 3226942just because its derpy, and cute.

That cockerel does not have the gene called Dominant White.
Dominant White turns black to white. It may miss a few bits here and there (leakage, or a "paint" chicken), but it is clearly not acting on that cockerel.

That cockerel probably has Silver (a dominant gene that turns gold to white, although it allows some red shades to show in places like rooster shoulders and hen breasts.) But we call that gene Silver, even though it is dominant and causes some parts of the chicken to be white in color.

Leghorn X EE
If the mother was a White Leghorn, the chick's color probably came from her.

The E gene ("Extended Black") makes a chicken black all over, is dominant, and overrides the effect of most other genes. White Leghorns tend to be E/E (pure for the Extended Black gene.)

Dominant White turns all the black to white. White Leghorns tend to be pure for Dominant White, too.

So every chick from a White Leghorn crossed with anything else will have E and Dominant White, making it white with some bits of black leakage. It's one of the most predictable results when crossing different chicken breeds.

I'm not as sure about what's going on with the other ones, but it may become more obvious as they grow their feathers over the next few months.

Are you saying you saw a black chick one day, and the same chick is now mostly white? Chick color can certainly look different when they are wet vs. dry, but that is quite a significant change.

Are you talking about the EE cockerel in this post?

That cockerel does not have the gene called Dominant White.
Dominant White turns black to white. It may miss a few bits here and there (leakage, or a "paint" chicken), but it is clearly not acting on that cockerel.

That cockerel probably has Silver (a dominant gene that turns gold to white, although it allows some red shades to show in places like rooster shoulders and hen breasts.) But we call that gene Silver, even though it is dominant and causes some parts of the chicken to be white in color.

If the mother was a White Leghorn, the chick's color probably came from her.

The E gene ("Extended Black") makes a chicken black all over, is dominant, and overrides the effect of most other genes. White Leghorns tend to be E/E (pure for the Extended Black gene.)

Dominant White turns all the black to white. White Leghorns tend to be pure for Dominant White, too.

So every chick from a White Leghorn crossed with anything else will have E and Dominant White, making it white with some bits of black leakage. It's one of the most predictable results when crossing different chicken breeds.

I'm not as sure about what's going on with the other ones, but it may become more obvious as they grow their feathers over the next few months.
1 yes I am, it hatched out completely black! Now its mosty buff!
2 yes I am.
3 Ah! I did not know silver could also be dominant! Sorry!
4 And yes the white chick does have some black leekage! (One above the eye too!)
5 I dont know either. I sware the chick was black (while still wet, so it could have been the red, But the whole chick was black.) with some white markings (wings) yesterday! Now its buff brown silver and red!
image.jpg
Its the one closest to the water) I did not take a picture yesterday, because I did not want to bother mom too much.

Ima make guesses on the new chicks what they will look like as adults.
Leghorn: it will have the thin body of the leghorn, green legs, pea comb, lay light green/blue. And have black back-feathers and a black patch around the eye.

GLW + SLW: body of a EE, green legs, pea + wallnut comb. Lays a grayish green. With silver lacing

Buff orpingtons: pea combs, pink + green legs. One will be a chipmunk with a buff head. One will be a fully buff chick with some red leekage. Will lay a medium green egg.

Those are my guesses. Some things are bassed off of what I can see. Mainly because all the new hatched chicks have pea combs. All have green legs, expect one orpington.
7D1ACFB5-E857-4189-BB52-DB4578CECE58.jpeg
This one will probably just be an orpington. But with a beard, and muffs.

Back
Top Bottom