Fertile eggs?

Pics
Sorry for the inactivity. No signs of patches being a cockerel yet. He/she is 3 weeks old. The father sattled out early. So hoping that passes on to the offspring, I like being able to sex them early.

I have a question, will the buff orpington chicks be sexlinked? Cause one turned out silver while one turned out buff. Ive read the boys will be red/, brown, and buff (and silver in my case) and the girls will just be buff. It could just be false info. But I really hope the buff chick is a female. They have such a big fluffy beard + muffs. And they are both laidback chicks.

I have a question, will the buff orpington chicks be sexlinked?
No.
When the father has silver and carries gold (like yours), chicks of either gender can be either color.

A Buff Orpington rooster can be the father of sexlinks (cross to a silver hen or a barred hen), but a Buff Orpington hen can never be the mother of such sexlinks.

Ive read the boys will be red/, brown, and buff (and silver in my case) and the girls will just be buff.
That sounds like different shades of red/brown/gold/buff to me. It's moderately common for roosters to end up with different shades than hens, but "sexlinked" is not the word that is typically used.

one turned out silver while one turned out buff...I really hope the buff chick is a female. They have such a big fluffy beard + muffs. And they are both laidback chicks.
With your cockerel for the father, and a Buff Orpington hen for the mother, I think you have a 50/50 chance of the buff one being female, and a 50/50 chance of the silver one being female.

No.
When the father has silver and carries gold (like yours), chicks of either gender can be either color.

A Buff Orpington rooster can be the father of sexlinks (cross to a silver hen or a barred hen), but a Buff Orpington hen can never be the mother of such sexlinks.

That sounds like different shades of red/brown/gold/buff to me. It's moderately common for roosters to end up with different shades than hens, but "sexlinked" is not the word that is typically used.

With your cockerel for the father, and a Buff Orpington hen for the mother, I think you have a 50/50 chance of the buff one being female, and a 50/50 chance of the silver one being female.
Thank you! And yeah, hoping they both end up being female, all though I do want the buff one to be female slightly more. But I will be happy either way.

Yup, patches apears to be an early sattler just like his father. Also he apears to have a wallnut comb. I could be wring about his gender. But Im leaning towards male on him. Ill give it another week and Ill show pictures. As most his feathers are not in yet.

Yup, patches apears to be an early sattler just like his father.
What do you mean by "sattler"?

I thought you were referring to the chick growing male saddle feathers (the long skinny ones just in front of the tail), but those typically don't start to appear until the chick is around 2 months old (give or take a bit.)

If I count right, Patches is only about a week old, so clearly you must be talking about something else.

What do you mean by "sattler"?

I thought you were referring to the chick growing male saddle feathers (the long skinny ones just in front of the tail), but those typically don't start to appear until the chick is around 2 months old (give or take a bit.)

If I count right, Patches is only about a week old, so clearly you must be talking about something else.
No, patches is allmost 4 weeks old. And Im talking about the shoulder patches. His father started getting them in around 4-5 weeks old. Sorry about my phrasing. Here are some pictures of the fathers shoulder patches at 4 weeks old
02412AB8-B0A0-4B6C-A566-D8F9FBAC0CC4.jpeg
and patches.
DD713D4D-9054-4AB6-9926-796FFEB50598.jpeg
Its hard to see in this picture, but they are starting to curl over the wings.

Back
Top Bottom