Fertility/Blastoderm/Blastodisc questions

CaptainCupcake

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Northern California
I have a couple questions I can’t seem to find the answers to.

1. If I don’t see a blastoderm or blastodisc in a freshly cracked egg, could it be hiding on the other side of the yolk or is it just not fertile?

2. will a blastoderm/disc disappear if left in the fridge or on the counter?

3. if an eggs is fertilized, will it only look like a bullseye? Or can it appear as a larger solid dot?

4. will a rooster mate with any hen, if he is a submissive newcomer to established flock of hens, where the alpha hens don’t seem to like him?

1. It could be on the other side, the blastoderm should be something on the yolk.

2. I'm not sure, I doubt it or but I suppose if it was refrigerated for a few weeks, it might change.

3. Bullseye. The dot is the blastoderm itself.

4. New roosters have to earn the respect of older hens, they might now allow him to mate right away or at all.

1. It could be on the other side, the blastoderm should be something on the yolk.

2. I'm not sure, I doubt it or but I suppose if it was refrigerated for a few weeks, it might change.

3. Bullseye. The dot is the blastoderm itself.

4. New roosters have to earn the respect of older hens, they might now allow him to mate right away or at all.

thanks 😊 I have 4 older hens, and 2 younger hens and a young roo. The older ones pretty much stick to themselves and won’t let the other 3 join them so the young ones stick to themselves. I’m hoping the roo mates with at least the 2 young ones but I doubt he will/has. I keep checking fertility, but half the time I don’t see any blastoderm, so I guess I’ll have to start playing with the yolk and see if it’s on the other side lol.

thanks 😊 I have 4 older hens, and 2 younger hens and a young roo. The older ones pretty much stick to themselves and won’t let the other 3 join them so the young ones stick to themselves. I’m hoping the roo mates with at least the 2 young ones but I doubt he will/has. I keep checking fertility, but half the time I don’t see any blastoderm, so I guess I’ll have to start playing with the yolk and see if it’s on the other side lol.
When I've cracked my eggs the blastoderm always was facing up. The infertile dot is hard to notice, but when it's fertile you usually can see it clearly.

Both my rooster dominated my slightly older hen, she was on top of the pecking order, that took about 3 months. And since she got submissive the others fell in line and all of them get mated. After things calmed down I culled one of the rooster. I also hatched out his line in Dec. got 6 chicks for 2021.

When I've cracked my eggs the blastoderm always was facing up. The infertile dot is hard to notice, but when it's fertile you usually can see it clearly.

Both my rooster dominated my slightly older hen, she was on top of the pecking order, that took about 3 months. And since she got submissive the others fell in line and all of them get mated. After things calmed down I culled one of the rooster. I also hatched out his line in Dec. got 6 chicks for 2021.

I went ahead and cracked a dozen eggs, and I’d say about half I ended up having to look for the bastoderm, and only about 2 looked like they might be fertilized. So I went ahead and put 21 eggs in my incubator and we’ll see if I get anything 😂 this morning I checked the eggs I was having for breakfast, and one definitely was fertilized, and I’m 95% sure it was an egg from one of my Reds lol

Back
Top Bottom