FERTILITY question for breeding

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I have some Blue egg laying Easter Eggers that I have in with a Cream Leg Bar rooster right now. If I just move them to the pen with my Marans rooster... and in a week I collect eggs... will it be a mixture of marans sperm and Cream Leg bar sperm?( which I dont mind) or will it be one OR the other.??? What I mean is --can it be from one rooster one day, then from the other on the 2nd day, and then back to the first ??? How does it work? Thanks

Last edited:
There are two semen storage sites in a hen. Some of those ducts are inside the vagina. When an egg passes, some of that semen is squeezed out and makes its way up the oviduct to the infundibulum where there are additional storage ducts and that is where fertilization occurs in the 15 minutes after ovulation. That's how long the yolk spends there. So in short, there will most likely be a blend of semen from multiple roosters in those ducts. It is a crapshoot which rooster will be the sire without separating the breeds for at least 3 weeks, which is how long after mating those sperm are viable.

Last edited:
There are two semen storage sites in a hen. Some of those ducts are inside the vagina. When an egg passes, some of that semen is squeezed out and makes its way up the oviduct to the infundibulum where there are additional storage ducts and that is where fertilization occurs when ovulation occurs. So in short, there will most likely be a blend of semen from multiple roosters in those ducts. It is a crapshoot which rooster will be the sire without separating the breeds for at least 3 weeks, which is how long after mating those sperm are viable.
Great!! so for 3 weeks I'd have CLB/Marans sperm, and then if they were left with the marans, it would be only marans after 3 weeks! OR if it was just a short stay for 2-3 days, I could assume in 3.5 weeks they would be non fertile again?

Great!! so for 3 weeks I'd have CLB/Marans sperm, and then if they were left with the marans, it would be only marans after 3 weeks! OR if it was just a short stay for 2-3 days, I could assume in 3.5 weeks they would be non fertile again?
Theoretically that is correct.
Without contact with a rooster, they would likely be infertile after about 3 weeks.
When kept with two breeds of roosters, provided both are fertile and the hen doesn't evade one of the breeds, either breeds' semen would be present.

When my daughter was young she liked to use all colors in her fingerpainting, but she always was dismayed then the painting devolved into the color of mud.

When my daughter was young she liked to use all colors in her fingerpainting, but she always was dismayed then the painting devolved into the color of mud.
sorry Im not sure I understand what that analogy was supposed to mean

There are two semen storage sites in a hen. Some of those ducts are inside the vagina. When an egg passes, some of that semen is squeezed out and makes its way up the oviduct to the infundibulum where there are additional storage ducts and that is where fertilization occurs in the 15 minutes after ovulation. That's how long the yolk spends there. So in short, there will most likely be a blend of semen from multiple roosters in those ducts. It is a crapshoot which rooster will be the sire without separating the breeds for at least 3 weeks, which is how long after mating those sperm are viable.
my hens have been in with their rooster for 4 or 5 days. I checked eggs today for fertility- doesn't look like it. Does it sometimes take a week or two until they decide to like each other? I haven't seen him mating all of them, but have seen some action.

Are you asking if with a blend of two speeds, both would fertilize? I don’t think that’s possible... one speem will win over the other. It’s not possible for an egg to be fertilized with both....

Are you asking if with a blend of two speeds, both would fertilize? I don’t think that’s possible... one speem will win over the other. It’s not possible for an egg to be fertilized with both....
NO... I was asking THIS. Cut and pasted from my OP.

What I mean is --can it be from one rooster one day, then from the other on the 2nd day, and then back to the first ??? How does it work? Thanks

my hens have been in with their rooster for 4 or 5 days. I checked eggs today for fertility- doesn't look like it. Does it sometimes take a week or two until they decide to like each other? I haven't seen him mating all of them, but have seen some action.
Give him time.....maybe he's taking his time to woo them?
Another thought are either or both birds rather fluffy butted,
inhibiting target contact?
A trim might increase 'bullseyes'.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom