Fertilization Question...

graypes

Songster
Jun 19, 2020
Hi! So I put my eggs in the incubator under the assumption they were fertile, as I had seen some white spots on the yolks a few times. BUT I just realized that those white spots don't have rings on them so the eggs are infertile (most likely).

I have one drake and one duck, and he *mounts* her several times a day (poor girl) and I've seen his *thing* come out every time, but many times... it looks like he's missing her vent... is this normal? Will he maybe become *better* at doing *IT* once mating season starts?

Fertilized eggs have a "bullseye" when they have an embryo. When I've incubated, I just check the eggs 4 days later with a flashlight and you can see by then if it's got life.

Ducks have the ability to divert the males penis, so she might just not want to be knocked up by your drake, lol

1614362121387.png

So in my experience it is really hard to see the "bull's-eye" on duck eggs. I tend to look for the size of the white dot. A big dot is fertile and a small dot is not. If you look at the picture below. The top egg is infertile and the bottom is fertile.
IMG_3342.jpg

How old is your drake? Young drakes take a while before they produce fertile eggs.

Both the boy and girl are about 8 months old! But looking at that picture, the white dot on my duck's eggs is as big as the fertile egg, but I can't tell if there is a bulls-eye or not! I've attached some pics from todays egg! sorry for the low quality, yolks are surprisingly SO HARD to photograph lol
I believe they are fertile!

Smart girl hahaha oh man I'm so impatient these next few days are gonna go by so slooooow until I can candle them

Both the boy and girl are about 8 months old! But looking at that picture, the white dot on my duck's eggs is as big as the fertile egg, but I can't tell if there is a bulls-eye or not! I've attached some pics from todays egg! sorry for the low quality, yolks are surprisingly SO HARD to photograph lol

Attachments

• tempImagefB0a6O.png
    tempImagefB0a6O.png
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • tempImagefJfUUw.png
    tempImagefJfUUw.png
    2 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom