Fertilized Eggs for Son

pumerant

Hatching
Oct 25, 2020
Hello,
My 8 year old son is obsessed with finding fertilized eggs to hatch in the incubator he received for his birthday. We live in Colorado Springs and have 9 girls now. We cannot have roosters, therefore we need to find fertile eggs. We need eggs from cold hardy breeds as we get cold temps and snow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- My son researched incubators and eggs for 2 weeks by himself on his tablet before school each morning. He is serious on raising his own girls.

I would be careful because some of the chickens that lay the eggs might be sick, and can spread it to the egg, causing the chick to spread it through the flock, find someone you can trust

Sometimes fertile eggs can be expensive. If your looking for anything ask a local farm with a rooster and they will usually sell a dozen of barnyard mix eggs for around $5 a dozen. If your wanting purebred you might have to order or look for local breeders in the state.

Hello,
My 8 year old son is obsessed with finding fertilized eggs to hatch in the incubator he received for his birthday. We live in Colorado Springs and have 9 girls now. We cannot have roosters, therefore we need to find fertile eggs. We need eggs from cold hardy breeds as we get cold temps and snow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- My son researched incubators and eggs for 2 weeks by himself on his tablet before school each morning. He is serious on raising his own girls.
What an awesome son you have! Wonderful he is so interested and did all the research himself.😊 I agree with above posters about maybe finding eggs from a local farmer that you don’t have to spend a lot of money on. If you do want particular breeds you will probably need to buy these from a breeder. Many people buy their hatching eggs on eBay but this can be a little iffy.
Gentle, cold hardy breeds are Orpingtons and Wyandottes. They are also usually friendly and good with kids.
They are also fairly late layers so you’ll have to wait at least six months for eggs from them. You also do need a plan for any boys you end up with. Is there a farm they can go to?
Do expect 50-50 boys and girls hatching but you never know! I ended up with 11 out of 14 boys from a recent hatch. You could also be lucky and end up with all girls. Just a roll of the dice really.
Good luck and welcome to BYC!😊

Back
Top Bottom