Few DIY incubator questions

skunknchatter

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 19, 2007
Northern Utah
So the "water wiggler" is to give a reading of the internal temp of the eggs... correct?

What is the purpose of the containers of water with the lids ON?

Is it better to put wet sponges or just a shallow dish of water for humidity?

What info do you guys put on the eggs b4 you put them in the bator?

I'm gathering up the things today to build a bator. My friend has finally got a license to have chickens so we want to hatch some of my eggs for her. I only have one hen laying right now so should I put the eggs in the fridge until I have 6 or so to incubate or just put a new one in each day? Thanks

Quote:
I would not put a new egg in the incubator each day because then each egg will be a day behind the other. I have heard not to do that because of when you go into lock down. Do you have a rooster? I am just making sure because you said you only had one laying hen and you are going to need a rooster for babies.
wink.png

Yes I have a rooster. What I meant was I only have one hen that is laying right now. 8 hens total, 1 rooster.
lol.png
But babies w/o a rooster would be tricky.

Lockdown?? I think I need to get a book on incubating chicks. Chickens for dummies have a section on incubating? I love "for dummies" books. Just my speed.
wink.png

"So the "water wiggler" is to give a reading of the internal temp of the eggs... correct?

What is the purpose of the containers of water with the lids ON?

Is it better to put wet sponges or just a shallow dish of water for humidity?

What info do you guys put on the eggs b4 you put them in the bator?

I'm gathering up the things today to build a bator. My friend has finally got a license to have chickens so we want to hatch some of my eggs for her. I only have one hen laying right now so should I put the eggs in the fridge until I have 6 or so to incubate or just put a new one in each day? Thanks"

I just built one and would like to know the answer to some of these ? to.
The container with the lid is to at like a heat sink which will help stabilize the temps inside. And lock down is the last 3 days where you dont mess with the eggs at all.

1. Correct

2. Those are heat sinks in the incubator, you can also use water filled bottles. They keep the temperature stable in an incubator.

3. I think the sponges are better, or both, put sponges in the shallow dish of water.

4. What chickens they came from, or when they were put into the incubator, Ex; When you put eggs in at different times, it is called a staggered hatch, and you want to know which ones were set at certain times.

5. I would keep the eggs in a closet, or until you have the desired 6 eggs, then set them in the incubator.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom