Few questions about worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vivalelori, Sep 12, 2013.

1. vivalelori

vivalelori New Egg

Sep 12, 2013
    Hello!!!!

I have two dogs and 4 chickens. All of them commingle in the backyard together. I just found out my dogs have a mild case of whip worm. They are being treated for it currently.

Can my chickens get whip worm?
    How do I know?
    Treatments?
    Prevention in the future?
    Can I eat the eggs?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Lori

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Hi Lori. No, your chickens can't get the whipworms your dog may have. I use Heartgard Plus for my dogs. It also kills whipworms.

Whips get about 2" full size, but are often not noticed.

Albendazole is the top wormer for chickens:
    http://japr.fass.org/content/16/3/392.full.pdf
    Valbazen suspension is 1/2 cc Standard/ 1/4 cc Bantam orally dosed with a syringe minus the needle. It is done an additional time 10 days after the first dose. Withdrawal time is 2 weeks. Albendazole tablets are also available known as Trifen Avicola.

Prevention can be simple. Keep shaded areas of moist soil to a minimum. I keep the grass mowed around their yard to put slugs, snails, and other vectors for worm eggs to a minimum. Don't allow your chicken coop to have a compost heap on the floor. Keep it dry. Use supplements like Probios dispersible powder and vitamins-minerals in the water 3 days a week to keep digestive and immune performance on track. Environmental prevention makes a difference, even so, many like myself choose to worm twice a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by