FFA Poultry Auction in Topsfield, Mass. on 10/18

GardenerGal

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Folks in northeastern Mass. and southern N.H. and Maine:

On Sunday, Oct. 18 starting at noon, there will be an auction held in the poultry barn at the Topsfield Fairgrounds in Topsfield, Mass. Items include mostly (but not exclusively) poultry and poultry care items.

The fairgrounds are on Rte. 1, just a few hundred yards south of the junction of Rte. 1 and Rte. 97 (the same 97 that goes to Salem, N.H.) in Topsfield.

The Essex Agricultural & Technical Highschool chapter of Future Farmers of America holds this auction annually to raise funds for chapter activities, including a trip to the national FFA convention. For every item sold at the auction, the FFA kids get 25% of the proceeds for their chapter fund.

You never know what's going to turn up for auction! I've been going for years, and in past auctions there has been anything and everything from varieties of chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys, to chukars, pheasants and quail, guinea fowl, pigeons, doves, cagebirds (such as budgies) and rabbits. Also, sacks of feed, bushels of apples, poultry feeders and waterers, used nest boxes and transport cages or coops, you name it. Some people donate items so the kids can get the extra $$

The past few auctions, they've also auctioned boxloads of chicks that were part of the incubator-hatching exhibit of the Topsfield Fair (the auction is always held the first Sunday following the closing day of the fair). There are often GAZILLIONS of one- to two-week-old chicks of popular breeds including RIR and barred rock. If you want straight run chicks, this is the place to get them.
smile.png

If you have items to sell, be there between 9am and 11:30am to sign up. ALL CHICKENS, TURKEYS AND GAMEBIRDS MUST BE BLOODTESTED and you must show the documentation. Waterfowl, cagebirds and pigeons/doves (and bunnies, of course) are exempt from that. All animals must be humanely and securely stowed in sturdy boxes, crates or coops that you are willing to part with. Use clean shavings and provide adequate airholes, etc. and provide your critters with food and juicy fruit (for water), since it can be a long while before they will get to a new home.

If you plan to bid, try to get there before noon to sign in and get a bidding number.

A worthy cause, great kids, and often great deals. Rain or shine. Bring portable seating in case the benches fill up. The FFA kids have a hotdog stand near the barn, where you can get a 'dog, coffee, chips and other munchies and soft drinks.

Oh, and dress warm.
smile.png

Last edited:
Oh this is much closer to me then the other swaps, only a half hour ride vs over an hour. Do they usually have a lot of turkeys? I might be looking for a tom, not a meat bird though.

Garden Girl,
Will the kids be taking donations for their auction? I have some nice plants I will be willing to donate for their cause.
some nice Boston Ferns, Lemon Buton Ferns and Spider Plants with spiderlings already set.
maybe a few more also.
I always help out Kids no matter FFA or 4 H, they are our continuing future.
Thanks in Advance.

Quote:
Gypsy,
The kids loving getting donations. They often get donations of feed, waterers, crates, even baked goods. So, plants are probably fine, especially if they are awesome looking. Even if you prefer to sell, the kids get 25% of the proceeds from each item auctioned. But free-and-clear donations mean they get to keep 100% of the sale proceeds, and they can definitely use the money!

Cashela,
We never know what people are going to bring from year to year. Some years there are turkeys, sometimes not. There are always bunnies, though.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
NOTE: I forgot to mention that if you're selling birds or small animals, the boxes should be labeled clearly with what's inside (e.g. 1 Rhode Island Red pullet, or "OEGB: 1 rooster, 2 hens" or whatever).

That way, the auctioneer doesn't have to guess what's going to be in there when he reaches in to pull out the contents for the audience to see. And, it gives the potential buyers important information. You don't have to give the ages if you don't want to, but you should indicate whether they're chicks, pullets/cockerels or hens/roosters, etc.

Last edited:
Quote:
Gypsy,
The kids loving getting donations. They often get donations of feed, waterers, crates, even baked goods. So, plants are probably fine, especially if they are awesome looking. Even if you prefer to sell, the kids get 25% of the proceeds from each item auctioned. But free-and-clear donations mean they get to keep 100% of the sale proceeds, and they can definitely use the money!

Cashela,
We never know what people are going to bring from year to year. Some years there are turkeys, sometimes not. There are always bunnies, though.
big_smile.png

Oh thats awesome. I have a lot of plants that need good homes, I got a little snipping crazy and have a ton of beautiful starts that will auction well for the kids.
I would prefer to donate them for the kids than try and sell them out right for myself, That the kids benifit is more important to me.
Who should we contact to donate when we get there? is there one person going to be available to handle the donations?
I a so excited to hear they get 100% from the donated items. thats awesome.
I will be there as early as possible to get the plants inside and out of the chill.
See You sunday.

Last edited:
Quote:
Gypsy,

Cashela,
big_smile.png

Oh thats awesome. I have a lot of plants that need good homes, I got a little snipping crazy and have a ton of beautiful starts that will auction well for the kids.
I would prefer to donate them for the kids than try and sell them out right for myself, That the kids benifit is more important to me.
Who should we contact to donate when we get there? is there one person going to be available to handle the donations?
I will be there as early as possible to get the plants inside and out of the chill.
See You sunday.

All you have to do is go to the seller's table and sign them in, and tell them that they're donations. Since the forecast is for rain on Sunday, the auction will likely take place inside the poultry barn. It's not heated, but at least out of the wind and wet.

See y'all on Sunday! I wish I had a BYC t-shirt or hat, but I don't. I'll be wearing my tan Essex County Co-op hat, though, since I shop there (for feed, etc.) more than I do for my guy and me at Marketbasket.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
See You sunday.

All you have to do is go to the seller's table and sign them in, and tell them that they're donations. Since the forecast is for rain on Sunday, the auction will likely take place inside the poultry barn. It's not heated, but at least out of the wind and wet.

See y'all on Sunday! I wish I had a BYC t-shirt or hat, but I don't. I'll be wearing my tan Essex County Co-op hat, though, since I shop there (for feed, etc.) more than I do for my guy and me at Marketbasket.
big_smile.png

LOL I know the barn well, not too cool in the summer not too warm in the winter.
Midnight madness is my favorite rabbit show and the fair is always well ~ a trip and a half.
do the kids have the whole barn for their use? or are the sectioning off part of it?

Back
Top Bottom