Fibro barn mixes--sex link?

piminuse

Songster
Jul 17, 2020
Portland, OR
I was missing the "high" of chicken tending now that I'm back at work and decided to set 18 eggs at the beginning of Feb. Hatch day was yesterday, and of course I got called in to work, so I have no idea who came out of what egg, but so far there are 12 puffballs running around the brooder. I'm wondering if anyone with a good grasp on genetics can help me determine two things. 1. Is there a possibility of sex-link down color with these mixes and 2. will the chicks from the same hens vary vastly in color/plumage?

I have 2 roosters, both mosaics with good fibro. Since Mosaics are a bit of a mystery this makes it hard to determine what genes get passed, but I've heard whispers that Ayam Cemani and Hmong were used in their creation. Hens could be anything including Buff Orpington, Black Marans, AC roo over LH hens, Barnevelder and Barbezieux.

Here are the chicks. Hoping y'all can step in and help me figure out who is who's mom and if there's a miraculous chance I have a sex-link so I know who's a keeper and who's a cooker.

Untitled drawing.jpg

Aaaaah...it feels good to be back on this chicken forum!

If none of your hens a barred, chocolate or silver there won't be any sex links from that group as far as I can see. Any fibro rooster over hens with very yellow shanks may result in sex links with the pullets having black shanks, but that seems to be a bit variable depending on other melanistic factors. So I'd get more attached to the darker skinned birds (skin under wings and on comb rather than shanks) but wouldn't be throwing anyone out based on it just yet. Your chipmunk chicks are likely to come from the barnevelder or any hen with lacing. The blacks could be marans or barbezieax hens. Even BO hens will possibly throw black chicks but with some buff leakage as they feather out. This is a bit of a guess though as i've never had mosaics- hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

New to both breeds, but i doubt feather sexable, despite color distinctions. I have 2 Cemani Mosaic Chicks, hatched. Almost 4 weeks ago. Very spunky and sweet. All black, long beautiful tails. One or both may be Cockerels, could go to someone as a Breeding pair. Portland OR. My hatching eggs came from Foxfire Farms in N Idaho - who sources from Greenfire Farm lines. Will try to get better pix...tricky to do. In the Brooder, and they are quite alert and active.

New to both breeds, but i doubt feather sexable, despite color distinctions. I have 2 Cemani Mosaic Chicks, hatched. Almost 4 weeks ago. Very spunky and sweet. All black, long beautiful tails. One or both may be Cockerels, could go to someone as a Breeding pair. Portland OR. My hatching eggs came from Foxfire Farms in N Idaho - who sources from Greenfire Farm lines. Will try to get better pix...tricky to do. In the Brooder, and they are quite alert and active.
I would LOVE to see pics of your ayam/mosaic crosses if you have any. We suspect that the mosaic x AC/LH girls are the entirely black chicks. Wondering if they'll feather out with more color variety or if they'll stay dark. They're a week old today and very docile, sweet and a bit on the small side.

I don't have great pics yet. Will have them outdoors fri so that light will help. The Brooder has 9 6 wk Chicks now..not easy for getting the 2 Mosaic Cemani's in a shot. They are black with just a hint of cinnamon. As babies they were active charcoal fluff balls. Both are fast feathering with long tails. Feathers not as rounded as any of the others.

Attachments

• 20210218_173759~5.jpg
    20210218_173759~5.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210221_055105_HDR.jpg
    20210221_055105_HDR.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210321_142939~2.jpg
    20210321_142939~2.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 21
I just picked up 2 Mosaic hens. 1 is Mosaic and the other looks like a Mosaic but has red earlobes - so I know she is crossed somewhere. Thank you sharing I was curious what the outcome would be if I were to breed to AC Rooster.

We've finally had enough sunshine to warrant some outside exploration in PDX. @PDXJULES I'm hoping your birds are enjoying this week's nice weather 😊 We ended up keeping 3 of the 14 hatched. Below are Mosaic x Buff O, Barnevelder and either Barbezieux or ACxLH.
PXL_20210412_235849898.MP.jpg
PXL_20210412_235830757.jpg
PXL_20210412_235825254.jpg

OMG what beauties!! I want them!! Wewll except the stripey one looks like a ROO!

I have an Olive Egger SILVERUUDD Cross - and an Ayam Cemani x Mosaic pair for Sale or trading - nice black skin and feathering - sure are spunky rascals...fun to have around. I'm afraid my 2 big Barred Rocks will beat up the female...tho she is fast. Still separated by fencing - but finally warm enough at night to be moved to the Coop. Loving the sun over here, too!

I sold the 2 purebred Marans Chicks - also hatched in Feb without assistance - to a neat young family near Gresham - who will breed them. I love the big Blue sweetie - cried when they left!! We will get some EEs late from the deal for the BCM...when they don't have Customers for all the EEs who hatch. She's setting eggs again this week, so that could be ALL TOO SOON! Still need to Vac and Dust from the winter mess lol!

Attachments

• Mosey side view Colors.jpg
    Mosey side view Colors.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Mosey8wksResting.jpg
    Mosey8wksResting.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 6
  • MoseySaddle.comb.9wks.jpg
    MoseySaddle.comb.9wks.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Back