FIGHT (almost)(I wish) at the feed store.

DonnaBelle

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2009
McIntosh County, OK
Yesterday overheard this conversation at the feed store:

"Yeah, can't believe them chickens just git up there in the trees and roost and do just fine in this kinda weather."
"Yep, I reckon I better git them a little feed just to keep them going til Spring".

Say I "Do you get any eggs?" He looks at me like I'm crazy. "Wal, no, cause it's just 10 degrees today, I'll git some in the Spring, but I'll have to hunt for them, Stupid chickens just lay all over the place."

So I say: "Did you ever think about building them a coop"

So he says: " Oh no, theys just chickens."

I'm puffing up ready to let him have it and DH pulls me out the door by the arm. He knows me and knows I was getting ready to say something like;

YOU MORON YOU DON'T DESERVE CHICKENS.

If I knew who he was or where he lived, I GO STEAL HIS CHICKENS, if I could round them up.

DonnaBelle

Quote:
I would love to have been there to see you have this conversation....
gig.gif

I've got two feral roosters that used to stay in my coop. they are escape artists. They are happy with each others company. they love the barn cats... they tear into my garbage cans... and they are OEGC's. They roost wherever they want to, and go to my planter box outside my bedroom every morning to cockle doodle doo. I do toss scratch out for them when I see them, but during the day they are scarce... in the morning I know where they are ... because every day starting at 4am.............
rant.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
That's completely different. You have provided a shelter, and they chose not to use it. I have a crazy sussex that likes the barn better than the coop- but the coons will eat her in a heartbeat, so I catch her and plop her in the coop at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree chickens are not so delicate that they require a coop. I put up a coop for mine to have an option, but even in this snow we have right now, several have OPTED to stay out. The birds are probably just fine. Mine still get bugs as cold as it is. They still get water from the little spring, and they roost wherever their little chicken hearts desire. They are happy, healthy, and CRAZY for sure bc NO WAY would I sleep in the snow when I had other choices.
smile.png

Nobody said they had to be cooped up. I let my birds free-range all day. Sometimes- like today- the door is open and nobody comes out. Smart birds! I said- considering their location- that some kind of shelter (besides deciduous trees) should be provided if they want to have healthy animals.

Lucky guy. Mine won't leave the coop when their delicate little footsies might have to encounter snow, so I have to muck out the coop again already. And heaven forbid their precious feathers get a drop or two of rain on them!

Huh... I have about 30 chickens roosting in trees every night. They choose to go there, because I do have a covered shelter available for them that they do not use. They also free range all day, might toss them food every now and then but basically they're on their own. Haven't lost a one of them yet and it's been pretty chilly out there of late, -7 deg wind chill. Whew!

Quote:
Really?!? Mine SLEEP in the rain! They are so weird. I thought it might be a peck order thing, but them I saw my bossy hen sleeping in the rain one night. Chickens are funny creatures.

Back
Top Bottom