FIGHT (almost)(I wish) at the feed store.

Quote:
ok, how is it colder in Oklahoma than it is in central michigan?
smile.png

All kidding aside, almost all of my chickens would prefer not to be in the coop at night. The guys that can escape do... the ones that are too fat in the bottom to fly straight up cant.

I got home just after dusk one night, and found that my coop door had blown shut. I open the door- and no chickens inside. Nowhere in site. After 10 minutes of searching- we found all 12 of them crammed into a banty coop that was meant for 2.
tongue.png

Quote:
smile.png

All kidding aside, almost all of my chickens would prefer not to be in the coop at night. The guys that can escape do... the ones that are too fat in the bottom to fly straight up cant.

You win my friend, hands down.
bow.gif
lol.png

By the way, all of mine in the trees are game fowl.
big_smile.png
It's the fluffy nuggets on my place that actually use the shelters. I'm guessing because their feather type doesn't do much to help protect them from the elements. Plus, they're too heavy (as you've mentioned).
wink.png

Quote:
smile.png

The girls, they are in the coop as soon as the sun begins to drop
roll.png
But last fall Sunny would sit atop the swing set, crow the sun down, then reluctantly turn in for the night. I'm pretty sure my roo would roost on top of the swing set all night if it was warmer. And who knows, when the weather turns, if he chooses not to go in the coop at night, I might just let him!

I had pheasants that slept outside in trees. Turkeys that did the same thing. (One turkey roosted on the roll bar of the truck) Some neighbors that had guineas that slept in trees. My ducks refused to go inside the coop on their own and were really mad if I made them sleep in there. There was always a couple of chickens that would rather sleep in a tree than in the coop.
Somebody would be in a world of hurt if they tried to take my birds away because they thought I didn't 'deserve' them.

Quote:
smile.png

You win my friend, hands down.
bow.gif
lol.png

By the way, all of mine in the trees are game fowl.
big_smile.png
It's the fluffy nuggets on my place that actually use the shelters. I'm guessing because their feather type doesn't do much to help protect them from the elements. Plus, they're too heavy (as you've mentioned).
wink.png

smile.png
I do love your side of the country tho. My Old English Game Cocks are nutz tho.

Quote:
Really?!? Mine SLEEP in the rain! They are so weird. I thought it might be a peck order thing, but them I saw my bossy hen sleeping in the rain one night. Chickens are funny creatures.

Mine used to be 'normal' birds. Then my sister temporarily left her two fancy, spoiled house-chicken bantams with me for a week. Apparently they compared notes, my chickies decided they were much abused by having to live in a coop with a yard shared by *gasp* ducks.

And the ducks won't go outside without the big rooster out there as well. They haven't yet figured out that they are now bigger than he is and perfectly capable of chasing the cat away on their own.

Quote:
Really?!? Mine SLEEP in the rain! They are so weird. I thought it might be a peck order thing, but them I saw my bossy hen sleeping in the rain one night. Chickens are funny creatures.

Mine used to be 'normal' birds. Then my sister temporarily left her two fancy, spoiled house-chicken bantams with me for a week. Apparently they compared notes, my chickies decided they were much abused by having to live in a coop with a yard shared by *gasp* ducks.

And the ducks won't go outside without the big rooster out there as well. They haven't yet figured out that they are now bigger than he is and perfectly capable of chasing the cat away on their own.

lau.gif
Chicken/duck snobbery..LOVE IT!! And sounds just about right!

This thread is not about flock management, animal abuse, a lecture hall or or a soapbox.

It is a member sharing an experience told in a manner to entertain.

If you don't want to join in, then don't.
Don't troll, inflame or fight.

The report button is your friend.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom