fighting raccoons

@Rock Home Isle 15 traps!
ep.gif

You're not messing around.
smile.png

@Rock Home Isle
 15 traps! :eek:

You're not messing around. :)

I've written a repy and deleted it 9 times now. Not sure what to say...

If a tool works, and you know how to use it...then use it. :cool:

A cage trap is not the most versatile tool, nor the most effective and reliable. But long as we're talking about skunks, raccoons and other small predators...cage traps are pretty good. The principles of the trap are simple, but it took a season or two before I learned how to tune the trap and make a really effective set using a cage trap.

I like efficiency. I'm not going to spend weeks nibbling away at a problem, onesies & twosies, when I can be done with it in one or two nights.

Then there's the issue when a predator is educated about traps, and a cage trap is a poor choice.

Last edited:
If you're using a Havahart (that's the only kind I have right now), be sure it's well staked down! I thought for sure I had everything dialed in last night: a few tent pins pounded in, the rear door secured with a metal rod, plus a plastic yogurt-type container (filled with dry catfood) cable-tied through the bottom to the inside bottom of the trap to prevent it from being knocked over via paws through the mesh. Woke up this morning to the whole thing flung upsidedown, not a trace of kibble left. I suspect it was the work of the big one, so tonight I'm making extra sure that thing is pinned down.

I went out to GILLMAN's farm late this morning and pick up one leghorn,another gold sex link and a coon trap.
I feel better.
Thanks for being here during this difficult time. I must say lessons are difficult but I admit that learning is better than staying stupid and learning from you people, here in this group I'd THE BEST. Thank you all so much.
I named the white one Maisy and the sex link Frieda - after my Gram.
Heartfelt thanks
1f495.png
2728.png
1f495.png

I love those names! and I agree - this group is pretty great. I've learned more useful, helpful things in the past few weeks on here than I can count! About to go check my trap... I followed Mary's advice and put a concrete block on top. Good luck , and enjoy getting to know your new girls. There'll probably be some adjustment as they get used to each other (are you keeping them separate for a bit?), but no one will be lonely. <3

Back
Top Bottom